New to Hop Growing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwerner23

Reaction score
This is my first year growing hops. I purchased 6 rhizomes this spring. 2 cascade, 2 nugget, and 2 goldings.

The cascades are by far doing the best, each rhizome sprouted 1 bine. the 1 bine is over the roof of the house and looks like it is starting to get burs for cones. the other bine is about 6 ft. tall so it is way behind the other.

The nuggets are doing the worst. The one rhizome sprouted 1 bine and it was one of the first bines that came up, but stopped growing soon after. It is still green but only about 10 inches high and has been this way for months. The other rhizome sprouted 3 bines, I have 2 of the 3 climbing ropes. They are both about 3 ft. high. Should I have both climbing or should I only let one climb?

The goldings started out strong. The one rhizome sprouted 1 bine and was growing the fastest until it looked like something ate the head off of it. It grew to about 4 ft. really fast with really big leaves then stopped. The side-arms started coming out and one of the side-arms has grown up the rope about another ft. or more. The other rhizome was the last to come up but sprouted 4 bines, I have 2 growing up ropes with one at about 4 ft. and the other at about 2 ft. Same question as with the nugget should I have more than 1 bine from a rhizome climb?

I know that the nugget hops grow a little slower than cascade because the higher alpha rating, but I think they are growing slower because they don't get as much sun. They are currently climbing ropes tied to a tree while the cascade and goldings are tied to the side of the garage. I was thinking about moving the nuggets to the side of the garage to get them more sun. Would it be better to transplant them in the fall or the spring. I live in northern Minnesota so it gets very cold here in the winter. Any advice would be welcomed.

Thank you,
Jeff

Latest posts

Back