new to brewing and wine making but have some questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tylerz281500

Reaction score
i started doing homebrew awhile ago and had some success with my all grain honey wheat lager but saw the whole wine making similarity and curiosity struck, so questions are just for the fun of it on the cheap can i use basic bread yeast and frozen juice from concentrate? bump the acid if need be with some lemon juice or so and play the waiting game until i need to do the necessary racking and so forth?

well for bread yeast, you could use it and have an ok result but best results comes from better ingredients. After all wine yeast is like a dollar. For the juice, best to use 100% from concentrate and not the fructose type. Big difference trust me. There are some people that does it with frozen concentrated juice that has high fructose but they call it wine "coolers". I wouldn't actually call it wine, more like high alcohol coolers. As for acidity, you don't HAVE to play with it, but if you do, its best to control it by testing it to have a good product. some people do use lemons, oranges or limes to boost the acidity though. and yes racking is part for the wine making game. BUT if you use bread yeast, it will probably clear within a month and won't need racking really. just wait till it clears then bottle by being careful not to take in any sediments.

id only be making a gallon for fun, never tired it sorta a boredom expirement using what i have, i have juice that isnt fructose oriented, i know bread yeast isnt ideal but i figured for fun i thought itd work.

bread yeast will ferment fruit sugars but bread yeast is not designed to flocculate (gather and drop out of suspension). If you want to drink a wine that is full of yeast then bread yeast is your choice. Most home wine makers will choose a yeast that will happily ferment fruit sugars and flocculate and indeed, be comfortable fermenting a liquid with about 2 lbs of sugar or more per gallon. Bread yeast is made to ferment the sugars in dough and bread makers generally kill that yeast and stop fermentation after about 2 - 24 hours. Wine makers generally want their yeast to work for weeks or months...

Latest posts

Back