New suggestions sought for oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_j8mmin

Reaction score
Looking for new suggestions on an Oatmeal Stout with the following grain bill;
20# us 2 row
2# flaked oats ("quick" from grocery store)
1# 60*L crystal
1# chocolate
1/2# roasted barley
(typically I boil one addition for 90 mins and it gets me to about 34 Ibus 10.56 OG)
Usually I pitch 1/2 w/ dry Chico and half with Irish ale but I was thinking about trying the London ale on half?
Normally I mash warmer (156) but If I use London ale maybe I'll mash a bit lower?

Try toasting the oats in an oven. About 10 minutes at 300 degrees should do it. It's mentioned in Brewing Classic Styles.

I toast the oats for my oatmeal stout, but it is more like 75 minutes at 350, turning every 15 minutes.

Ben I think it's a least a day, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. My recipe looks quite a bit like yours, I went heavier on the roasted than the chocolate this time, I thought it was a bit too chocolaty on my first attempt.

How long do you wait after youve toasted to brew?

I usually wait 3 or 4 days, but i'v heard people here comment that you should way 1-2 weeks. My beers have always come out well, but i am planning ahead this time and just got done toasting my oats for my next stout that i will brew a week from Wed.

When I use oats I toast them at 350 until they start smelling like toasted oats (about an hour), then waft or set or whatever for at least a week.

The first time through I was having oat meal for breakfast every morning, I alternated untoasted with toasted for two weeks. After about a week the toasted had pretty well settled down, some acidic tastes in there the first few days.

Fresh out of the oven I kinda stir them around a little bit every twelve hours for maybe three days or so. Then once daily for a couple days, then whenever I think of it.

Didn't trying brewing with all that, I just toast a week or more in advance.

Not sure about the Crystal v- chocolate, what you got sounds pretty good though you could go to 120 on the Crystal I bet.

I got very little on the hops, though I would avoid the C's. I used Willamette @ (90) and (60) on a Caribbean style export stout last weekend with Goldings at (30). Still in primary, a little bit of hop flavor is OK in mine. I still have the dry spices to add and a fair amount of aging to do, but I wouldn't be adverse to repeating same in an oat stout I think. I imagine you can't go wrong with Fuggles and Goldings.

Back