New post a picture of your pint

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roggenbier. About 50% rye, the rest 2-row, Munich I, and a bit of Carafa III. Triple Perle hops, pitched Lallemand Munich. BIAB, didn't use rice hulls, draining was a biatch. I'll learn.

Roggenbier.jpg

Guys guys GUYS GUYS GUYS!!!!! I FINALLY MADE A HAZY IPA!! ON PURPOSE!! Sorry but I'm super excited about this one. Thought it would clear out but it looks a LOT like all those hazy things that are so popular with the kids these days. And actually tastes pretty good! Sabro & Citra hops (very late & dry hop only) on a basic 80/20 two-row/pilsner base, fermented on Imperial Loki 2nd gen at about 80-90°. 8 days grain to glass. Husband says it looks like fresh grapefruit juice (he hates grapefruit) and wouldn't hazard a try (what a wuss). More for me!!!

20211130_173727[1].jpg

West Coast Double IPA. I think I finally nailed the water profile for the style and it makes a huge difference.
View attachment 747790
looks like a sick beer man. care to share what ur target mineral numbers were? i'm trying to figure out a new school west coast ipa water profile, and i don't have it totally dialed in yet. Thanks!

smidge over-carbed.
It does depend how you pour, right? That looks like some seriously tight foam--very, very nice. I'm not sure I would want to sacrifice that carb-level and go lower with a Tripel. It looks beautiful.
I've even had a low-carbonated beer get away from me if I pour down the centre even a bit aggressively.

HB west-coast style DIPA "Acacia" named as an acronym of the hops I used: azacca, comet, amarillo, cascade, Idaho 7, and ahtanum. At 8% abv, it's got a floral nose, dank resin bitterness on first taste, and finishes with stone fruit and berries. It got more bitter and piney as it aged in the keg over the last few weeks.

20211205_162851.jpg

looks like a sick beer man. care to share what ur target mineral numbers were? i'm trying to figure out a new school west coast ipa water profile, and i don't have it totally dialed in yet. Thanks!
Thanks, the base recipe is just about perfect for my taste so I just play around with the hops at this point.

I lifted the water profile for Headhunter from Mitch Steele's IPA book:

Ca 163.2 ppm
Mg 8.5 ppm
Na 21 ppm
SO4 365 ppm
Cl 23.5 ppm

I use 100% distilled water and use salts to hit a close to those numbers as I can...it has made a tremendous difference IMO.

Thanks, the base recipe is just about perfect for my taste so I just play around with the hops at this point.

I lifted the water profile for Headhunter from Mitch Steele's IPA book:

Ca 163.2 ppm
Mg 8.5 ppm
Na 21 ppm
SO4 365 ppm
Cl 23.5 ppm

I use 100% distilled water and use salts to hit a close to those numbers as I can...it has made a tremendous difference IMO.
hey thanks man i appreciate it. My SO4:Cl ratio was closer to like 3:2 on my last one...might have to give urs a try. Kinda want my beer to be a little crispier. Im starting from distilled too. Get better/ more predictable better results i think.

Roggenbier. About 50% rye, the rest 2-row, Munich I, and a bit of Carafa III. Triple Perle hops, pitched Lallemand Munich. BIAB, didn't use rice hulls, draining was a biatch. I'll learn.

View attachment 750677
Made my first Roggenbier a few weeks ago. Same experience as yours - draining took forever. So would you add rice hulls next time even though it's BIAB?

Man, I’m not a big fan of NEIPA’s but this picture is making me reconsider!
For some reason I’m craving lemon meringue pie right now.
Haha thanks man. This beer came out really good!

Back