New Keezer/ c02 hissing st keg connection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd410

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I just built my keezer. I put my first batch in a keg today and set everything up. I followed a video on YouTube about purging the keg and i now have the c02 level at 12 psi and I'm doing the set it and forget it carbonation. I hear a hissing of c02. Is that normal since its slowly carbonating the beer?
I also tried pouring a little bit because I just wanted to see what it looked like but nothing came out. Is that because theres not nearly enough c02 in the keg yet? Any help would be great. Learning to keg on your own is very frustrating sometimes.

Attachments

• 20180908_141827.jpg
    20180908_141827.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 88
It's normal to hear some at the regulator until the pressure is equalized. Does it hiss if you disconnect the CO2 line? If not, it would seem to be the post O-ring or maybe the post isn't fully screwed on or something. I would shut it off before you drain your tank, and track down the problem. Are your kegs brand new? did you replace the o-rings if they're refurbed?

Even if you're beer isn't carbonated yet, if you've got pressure in the keg, when you open the tap, beer will be pushed out. So the fact that you open the tap and nothing comes out seems to indicate that hissing sound you're hearing is all of the CO2 leaking out of the keg (or not getting in there in the first place).

A great way to find leaks is to take some mixed Star San solution and spray it on the questionable part. Soapy water is better, but since you've got beer in the keg, you don't want to risk getting soap in your keg. But spray it on and look for bubbles, or liquid being blown away.

Check:
1. Where the liquid post screws onto the keg. May be not fully tightened, or over-tightened and squishing the o-ring out of shape.
2. The spring/poppet on the inside of the gas post. Maybe something is jammed in there and not letting the poppet push down with the quick connect attached. (Note this you won't be able to see from your Star San bubbles. You'd have to take off the gas quick-connect, and try pushing down on the poppet with something like a thermometer temperature probe.)
3. The disconnect itself might be junk and not fit over the post very well, or not stay centered/aligned and you're getting leaks around there. Remedy: buy a new disconnect, not the cheapest one you can find on Amazon.
4. Some disconnects have a threaded fitting attachment to the gas line, some have a barbed fitting. If you have a threaded attachment, it might need tightening. If you have a barbed fitting, your screw clamp might have relaxed and become loose, or if you have a band clamp, it might've not been installed properly and isn't clamping tight enough.

It's normal to hear some at the regulator until the pressure is equalized. Does it hiss if you disconnect the CO2 line? If not, it would seem to be the post O-ring or maybe the post isn't fully screwed on or something. I would shut it off before you drain your tank, and track down the problem. Are your kegs brand new? did you replace the o-rings if they're refurbed?
They are used kegs, and I didnt replace the O rings. Is that recommended?

Even if you're beer isn't carbonated yet, if you've got pressure in the keg, when you open the tap, beer will be pushed out. So the fact that you open the tap and nothing comes out seems to indicate that hissing sound you're hearing is all of the CO2 leaking out of the keg (or not getting in there in the first place).

A great way to find leaks is to take some mixed Star San solution and spray it on the questionable part. Soapy water is better, but since you've got beer in the keg, you don't want to risk getting soap in your keg. But spray it on and look for bubbles, or liquid being blown away.

Check:
1. Where the liquid post screws onto the keg. May be not fully tightened, or over-tightened and squishing the o-ring out of shape.
2. The spring/poppet on the inside of the gas post. Maybe something is jammed in there and not letting the poppet push down with the quick connect attached. (Note this you won't be able to see from your Star San bubbles. You'd have to take off the gas quick-connect, and try pushing down on the poppet with something like a thermometer temperature probe.)
3. The disconnect itself might be junk and not fit over the post very well, or not stay centered/aligned and you're getting leaks around there. Remedy: buy a new disconnect, not the cheapest one you can find on Amazon.
4. Some disconnects have a threaded fitting attachment to the gas line, some have a barbed fitting. If you have a threaded attachment, it might need tightening. If you have a barbed fitting, your screw clamp might have relaxed and become loose, or if you have a band clamp, it might've not been installed properly and isn't clamping tight enough.
Thanks for all the help! I'll look into everything you've said.

They are used kegs, and I didnt replace the O rings. Is that recommended?

Yes, I'd replace all the o-rings. Also, did you use any keg lube? IMO, buying used, cleaning, and replacing all the rubber isn't worth it. Brand new kegs are not that much more.

Often overlooked.. If your using older style quick disconnects that just have a stainless 1/4" flare without some sort of seal on the tip were the flare nut attaches, you need to add a "fisheye" seal to them. It's a little nylon seal that helps seal the connection. Newer quick disconnects have them molded on to them. Flare nuts are a face seal style of connection. Teflon thread tape will not help you in these situations. The suggestion of a soapy water solution in a spray bottle, is a great aid to find leaks.

Good luck.

Back