New hop varieties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked the hartwick. Lowered them and hoses them off real good. Knocked most of the aphids off. Only a few leaves on the inside had a problem and maybe 50 hops with the sooty mildew. I got a lot of hops. I’d say based on the wonderful citrus smell, papery feel and the spring back most were ready with a few not quite on the lower arms so I think with upper gone they will see more sun. View attachment 645185

Also this is ridiculous. Took me and my two boys two hrs to pick all these.
Glad I had chicken wire and zip tiesView attachment 645196

I’ll just move them around every few hrs and cover with a sheet at night.

Nice! That’s an incredible 1st year bounty.

I’m drying the last of my Hartwick. I’m only gonna get around 2oz dried, total. But like you said, they have a wonderful citrus smell. Very exciting.

Nice! That’s an incredible 1st year bounty.

I’m drying the last of my Hartwick. I’m only gonna get around 2oz dried, total. But like you said, they have a wonderful citrus smell. Very exciting.

Thanks! i've learned so much and still a little overwhelmed. I cant imagine even more next yr.

definitely need to build one of those spinning hop finger pickers for next yr.

ok, finished drying all the hops.
aphids were jumping ship like rats on the titanic.
I even put some hop leaves on top to draw them out which worked wonders.
the smell as I pulled into the driveway and even stronger on the deck was amazing.

anyways dried them until petals? were falling off.
thought I went to far but my hands were SOOOO sticky from vacuum sealing them.
the smell was so good.
A very light citrus smell.
I ended up with almost 24oz of dried hops from two first yr crowns from GLH's :)
next yr i'm doing the V for each plant to get them to spread out a little bit.

this winter I make a spot in the basement to dry them and build the racks.
I'm also making a hop press to get them into plugs to save space.
I know I will have a LOT more hops next yr.

going to make a 1 gallon smash with the hartwick soon.
I put 1 oz aside.
I figure .25 for the boil and the rest for flame out.

ok, finished drying all the hops.
aphids were jumping ship like rats on the titanic.
I even put some hop leaves on top to draw them out which worked wonders.
the smell as I pulled into the driveway and even stronger on the deck was amazing.

anyways dried them until petals? were falling off.
thought I went to far but my hands were SOOOO sticky from vacuum sealing them.
the smell was so good.
A very light citrus smell.
I ended up with almost 24oz of dried hops from two first yr crowns from GLH's :)
next yr i'm doing the V for each plant to get them to spread out a little bit.

this winter I make a spot in the basement to dry them and build the racks.
I'm also making a hop press to get them into plugs to save space.
I know I will have a LOT more hops next yr.

going to make a 1 gallon smash with the hartwick soon.
I put 1 oz aside.
I figure .25 for the boil and the rest for flame out.

That’s an amazing first year harvest. I ended up with only 1.88 oz dry. But they smell amazing.

I’m brewing my 2.5 gal test batch as I type this. Bittering with .3 oz of CTZ. Planning 1 oz Hartwick at flame out, .5 oz at <150F whirpool, 5 min rest each and then .33 oz dry hop 3 days before kegging.

I will definitely follow up and let everyone know how it turns out.

Cheers!

Hartwick pale ale update:

It's been about 3.5 weeks since I brewed my 2.5 gallon Hartwick test batch. I didn't get a ton of hops this year, so the beer is less hoppy than I normally would make it. That said, this beer is very enjoyable. It's get a light citrusy, fruity flavor. I don't pick up on much pine. And I'm not sure I'd claim I can taste "overripe pineapple", but whatever it is, it's good. I used Hartwick only for flameout/whirlpool additions and dry hopping. So I wouldn't expect much bitterness from them. If there were any IBU gains, the bitterness is very smooth and refined. Nothing offensive on the palate with regard to harsh bitterness.

So I'd say after year one, that this variety is a winner. I'm very much looking forward to getting more of a yield next year and blending it with other hops to see what happens.

As an aside, I think the hop may be more expressive in future years. My experience with my cascade plant is that it didn't develop strong citrusy flavors until the third year's harvest. So I'm thinking it could be that way with other varieties. Just a guess.

NitrogenWidget, have you brewed with any of your new varieties yet?

Interesting! I think this concept holds water. IE: Some crops of Centennial taste like complete “garbage” to me. While Bell’s Two Hearted centennial tastes absolutely amazing. So yeah, terroir and vintage do seem to play a big role.

My year one Petoskey is now creeping on 7 ft tall and starting to really bush. Low mast on main bines, but I am assuming it is just indicative of age and root size. I am working to develop this in the future, so I want year one to be a huge success for root development. I have between 7-10 different bines all running up the coir. I am not particularly worried about cone production this year, its just a training evolution for the plant, and getting her accustomed to my soil and weather

I'm curious what results you've gotten brewing with Petoskey? Or anybody who has ordered. I looked at em last year and decided there wasn't enough data / results from other brewers, not worth pulling up one of my lackluster rhizomes. But here I am again in March thinking about how to up my fresh hop IPAs!

I'm curious what results you've gotten brewing with Petoskey? Or anybody who has ordered. I looked at em last year and decided there wasn't enough data / results from other brewers, not worth pulling up one of my lackluster rhizomes. But here I am again in March thinking about how to up my fresh hop IPAs!

I harvested around 7 pounds wet last year, this year in late February I already had around 30-50 shoots starting to emerge.

that said, I brewed two beers with my Petoskey from year one harvest...a roasted hatch chile session IPA that performed extremely well at competition and the same base IPA but with a slight bit or apricot tincture added

I have yet to make a brew that is strictly or predominantly Petoskey, but I can assure you that it makes an incredible tea, it delivers on both pineapple and pungency, is lightly resinous, and beautifully citrusy. I’m looking forward to this year

Hartwick pale ale update:

It's been about 3.5 weeks since I brewed my 2.5 gallon Hartwick test batch. I didn't get a ton of hops this year, so the beer is less hoppy than I normally would make it. That said, this beer is very enjoyable. It's get a light citrusy, fruity flavor. I don't pick up on much pine. And I'm not sure I'd claim I can taste "overripe pineapple", but whatever it is, it's good. I used Hartwick only for flameout/whirlpool additions and dry hopping. So I wouldn't expect much bitterness from them. If there were any IBU gains, the bitterness is very smooth and refined. Nothing offensive on the palate with regard to harsh bitterness.

So I'd say after year one, that this variety is a winner. I'm very much looking forward to getting more of a yield next year and blending it with other hops to see what happens.

As an aside, I think the hop may be more expressive in future years. My experience with my cascade plant is that it didn't develop strong citrusy flavors until the third year's harvest. So I'm thinking it could be that way with other varieties. Just a guess.

NitrogenWidget, have you brewed with any of your new varieties yet?

I'm just about ready to bottle my 2.5 gallon test batch.
I targeted ~5% abv.
I would say mine has the same light citrus, fruity flavor you described.
no pineapple here either.
I was surprised by ho light it was. almost mic ultra lite, without being watery.
Though I also used mine for bittering.
My recipe:

4lbs of pale malt
1 lb of rolled oats.
.5 oz hartwick at 60.
.5 oz at flame out
Notty.
fermented high 50's/ low 60's
1 oz more after fermentation slowed down.

after 4 days of dry hopping It i'm thinking it's time to bottle.

But i'm thinking if I skipped the dry-hop or used less i'd have a great easy drinking summer beer for my mic ultra drinking friends.

I'll do a 2.5gal arcadian batch next.

I have grown all of GLH heritage hops collection for 3 years (except Diamond Springs because it has yet to be released). last year all of them went off reaching their full maturity over 25 feet,.... and Over a few pounds of hop cones on most plants.
The Poteskey hop was very Dank Orange to me, was like All most orange peel like bitter orange peel.
I feel like a lot of times our results are skewed (Flavor and aroma wise) based on elevation and where I live. Southern Sierra Nevada Mountains (southern Yosemite foothills) l. where I live at 2000' very hot and dry in the summer months but cools off nicely in the afternoon and evening.

I feel like it's very specific what our flavors are to our growing conditions here. I live next to a river so the micro climate is very unique damp dew and wet in the morning's hot and dry by mid day. Then cool and moist again at night.
Anyway hope this helps

Cheers to Great Beers

Well, sadly they won't ship retail to Oregon. I guess that makes the decision to try them easier.

Well, sadly they won't ship retail to Oregon. I guess that makes the decision to try them easier.

Maybe temporarily rent a PO box in a neighboring state? Might be worth the effort.

There's got to be a way.

I'm just about ready to bottle my 2.5 gallon test batch.
I targeted ~5% abv.
I would say mine has the same light citrus, fruity flavor you described.
no pineapple here either.
I was surprised by ho light it was. almost mic ultra lite, without being watery.
Though I also used mine for bittering.
My recipe:

4lbs of pale malt
1 lb of rolled oats.
.5 oz hartwick at 60.
.5 oz at flame out
Notty.
fermented high 50's/ low 60's
1 oz more after fermentation slowed down.

after 4 days of dry hopping It i'm thinking it's time to bottle.

But i'm thinking if I skipped the dry-hop or used less i'd have a great easy drinking summer beer for my mic ultra drinking friends.

I'll do a 2.5gal arcadian batch next.

Interesting. Keep me posted on how both beers turn out. I'm very curious about Arcadian.

I'm already having a hard time remembering what my Hartwick pale ale tasted like. But I remember it being very crushable. Looking forward to testing this year's crop and also blending it with other hops.

Based on what other's are saying about Petoskey, I'm almost wishing I'd picked up that plant as well. I love me some dank hops. Too many varieties, not enough yard space...

I took the hartwick ale to a party.
It was a hit.
light and tropical was the majority of descriptions and a few claimed pineapple.
so i'll be brewing a larger batch of this soon for the summer.

I took the hartwick ale to a party.
It was a hit.
light and tropical was the majority of descriptions and a few claimed pineapple.
so i'll be brewing a larger batch of this soon for the summer.

Glad to hear it turned out well. I will also be brewing it again this summer/fall. I’m hoping for more intense aromatics with a more mature plant.

To start things off, Great Lakes Hops just released 10 new varieties in their "Heritage collection". At the moment it looks like they are available to everyone for preorder:

GLH Arcadian
  • Light Floral and Orange/Tangerine
  • Alpha: 9.8%
  • Beta: 7.5%
  • Observed First year yield (on test plant): 6lbs 9.8oz (wet weight)

GLH Walhalla™
  • Light Citrus w/ hint of garlic (very faint) some grassy/herbal too.
  • Alpha: 5.97 - 10%
  • Beta: 3.75 - 6%
  • Observed First year yield (on test plant): 9lbs 4.8oz (wet weight)

GLH Prussian™
  • Lemony citrus w/ piney notes
  • Alpha: 4.29%
  • Beta: 2.73%
  • Observed First year yield (on test plant): 3lbs 9.4oz (wet weight)

GLH Petoskey™
  • Unique floral, pungent, pineapple
  • Alpha: 12.11%
  • Beta: 6.16%
  • Observed First year yield (on test plant): 6lbs 9.1oz (wet weight)

GLH Hartwick™
  • Piney, overripe pineapple - Distinctly different aroma profile from others in collection
  • Alpha: 12.28%
  • Beta: 5.77%
  • Observed First year yield (on test plant): 12lbs 11.3oz (wet weight)

GLH Saugatuck™
  • Fragrant, hard to pin down but pleasant and interesting.
  • Alpha: 5.39%
  • Beta: 3.27%
  • Observed First year yield (on test plant): 12lbs 13.1oz (wet weight)

GLH Old Mission™
  • Citrus, light pine, tea spice, herbal, pepper, tartness.
  • Alpha: 4.33%
  • Beta: 3.70%
  • Observed First year yield (on test plant): 14lbs 11.9oz (wet weight)
GLH Shaddock™
  • Interesting lime/grapefruit, bright, - low onion/garlic.
  • Alpha: 4.96%
  • Beta: 3.59%
  • Observed First year yield (on test plant): 7lbs 13.4oz (wet weight)

GLH Diamond Springs™
  • Citrusy/bright, lemon, mint, interesting aroma
  • Alpha: 4.83%
  • Beta: 3.18%
  • Observed First year yield (on test plant): 12lbs 9.8oz (wet weight)

GLH Lawton™
  • Pungent, woody & earthy – not citrusy – totally dank.
  • Alpha: 3.5 -4.0% from uncultivated specimen
  • Beta: 3.0-3.2
  • Yield: high – based on cone size and set on specimen plant
Just got arcadian hop bines.looking forward to see what I can brew with them

Sierra, (and maybe nagmay)
I’ve been trying to catch up on all your valuable experience in the threads.
I’d like to do a little home hop breeding as well and I was wondering if you had seeds or male hop plants or pollen for sale?
I’m just north of Sacramento

Last edited:
Just a quick update. My 2nd year Hartwick and Arcadian plants are off to the races. With one month left of vegetative growth, these things are gonna be monsters.
Arcadian:
CB445C1F-EBE6-4915-8410-B94897A12439.jpeg

Hartwick:
30929F5D-EC30-4019-A678-A58B4D851E80.jpeg

Nice kaz, mine poked their heads out last Friday and today one of my heartwhick is 3ft y'all and one arcadian is 2ft. The rest are about 1.5 ft. I need to trim some trees, but I also know once they hit a certain height they get all the sun they need.

these hartwick are out of control!
the one plant is a beast. a foot taller than the other and tossing out side arms.
I've gone with a V line and 3 bines per rope.
but it seems every time I look at both of them there are new shoots a few feet long that weren't there a day ago.
some are popping up at the edges of the garden box and some just sneak up the line with the rest.
feel like i'm trimming new shoots every few days.

the Arcadian are doing well also and seem to be behaving better in the errant shoot area.

I was amazed when they were crowns last yr.
this yr has blown me away.

That’s great! Are your Hartwick and Arcadian both 2nd year plants?

Mine are both going strong, but nothing like what you’re describing. They must really enjoy where you planted them.

What have you done for them nutrient wise?

3rd yr? they were 2nd yr crowns I bought last yr.

I built them into a raised garden bed.
about 1.5ft tall.
for soil I bought bags of top soil, giant bail of peat moss, and a wheel barrow of my own black gold from the spot i've been dumping leaves, bark, pine clippings for over a decade.
mixed it all up on a tarp, checked the ph/acid was balanced with a meter (added some wood ash from the wood stove) and planted them in that.
every other week I take a small scoop of miracle grow mixed into a two liter x2 and every plant gets half.

in the winter I would dump my spent grains on top of them.

Very nice. Sounds like a much better soil set up than mine. I'll have to see what I can do to catch up to that in future years!

I'm guessing my plants aren't super stoked about where they live, but otherwise, it's not too bad.

Well, I have a bunch of plants at my parents and they live but barely 3ft tall. I wanted to give them the treatment with raised beds but didn't have time.

Anyone grow Prussian? I've got a plant (along with a few others) coming today. Gotta get the raised beds built post haste.

Curious of the character of the Prussian though. Anyone brew with it?

maybe @Sierra brew club ?

Last edited:
This is my second year Arcadian. It seems just about as robust as my Cascade. And that’s while getting a lot less direct sunlight.
3E5FD931-E162-4E51-8790-5CD8F19B4C58.jpeg

Please follow up. Curious about these hops for 2021 season. I grew cascade and sterling this year and am super happy with the hops I produced. Finding these cool varieties is pretty exciting. Let us know how your 2020 harvest beers come out. Also I was reading about some of your 2019 brews and from what I’ve read about growing hops is it takes about 3 years to get the real flavor profile of the hops. Haven’t proven this myself but it makes sense from what I’ve read. Happy brewing!

Not on the market yet and may never be but here are a few new ones that came from seeds. In the middle "twin towers" are what I'm calling Baby-E (daughter of E'Desem - another one grown from seed), it's one crown that I ran a few shoots up two different 18 foot poles. To the right is a Chinook and to the left is another seedling selection from 2015 known as Boublette', tough telling but I strung it up two poles also. It's easy enough to come up with plants that will grow and perform well but to have them brew good beer and produce hops from top to bottom is another story.

Attachments

• Baby-E.JPG
    Baby-E.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 18
So made an ale with hartwick and decided to dry hop with 3 oz. Came out grassy.
Next time ill dry hop with less and put more in at flame out.

Getting close to harvest. Just soaked them down with a mixture of neem oil and insecticidal soap hoping to avoid the aphid infestation I had last yr.

I currently am growing Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Saaz, and Nugget. Looking to add a new variety to my growing 'hop farm' at home. I live in Central PA.

Any good new varieties to try out?

Try cashmere. A newer hop with proprietary hop qualities like tropical notes. I think I’m going to buy a couple rhizomes next spring

Back