New hop varieties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my plants are facing sw. they get an hr of sun early on between the tree's then nothing direct until about noon. then direct sun until about 7.
I'm in the city with lots of large trees surrounding my yard. I do kinda like the shade.

and yeah if I lop a branch off a maple tree I think I can get another half hr of morning sun. but i'm holding off on that to see how things go.
the last few days have been sunnier and high 60s-low 70's so i've seen a spurt of growth.
All 4 are now over 2ft with one of the arcadia at 3 ft.
the heartwick are starting to get bushy on the bottom.

I have them surrounded by 2ft tall 1ft diameter chicken wire cages held together with zip strips to be easily removed.

How long before stupid woodchucks and the like are no longer interested in eating hop plants?
I had two last yr, thought I evicted them, but seems another one moved in.
they feasted on mine last yr.
twice.

To start things off, Great Lakes Hops just released 10 new varieties in their "Heritage collection". At the moment it looks like they are available to everyone for preorder:

GLH Arcadian
  • Light Floral and Orange/Tangerine
  • Alpha: 9.8%
  • Beta: 7.5%
  • Observed First year yield (on test plant): 6lbs 9.8oz (wet weight)

GLH Walhalla™
  • Light Citrus w/ hint of garlic (very faint) some grassy/herbal too.
  • Alpha: 5.97 - 10%
  • Beta: 3.75 - 6%
  • Observed First year yield (on test plant): 9lbs 4.8oz (wet weight)

GLH Prussian™
  • Lemony citrus w/ piney notes
  • Alpha: 4.29%
  • Beta: 2.73%
  • Observed First year yield (on test plant): 3lbs 9.4oz (wet weight)

GLH Petoskey™
  • Unique floral, pungent, pineapple
  • Alpha: 12.11%
  • Beta: 6.16%
  • Observed First year yield (on test plant): 6lbs 9.1oz (wet weight)

GLH Hartwick™
  • Piney, overripe pineapple - Distinctly different aroma profile from others in collection
  • Alpha: 12.28%
  • Beta: 5.77%
  • Observed First year yield (on test plant): 12lbs 11.3oz (wet weight)

GLH Saugatuck™
  • Fragrant, hard to pin down but pleasant and interesting.
  • Alpha: 5.39%
  • Beta: 3.27%
  • Observed First year yield (on test plant): 12lbs 13.1oz (wet weight)

GLH Old Mission™
  • Citrus, light pine, tea spice, herbal, pepper, tartness.
  • Alpha: 4.33%
  • Beta: 3.70%
  • Observed First year yield (on test plant): 14lbs 11.9oz (wet weight)
GLH Shaddock™
  • Interesting lime/grapefruit, bright, - low onion/garlic.
  • Alpha: 4.96%
  • Beta: 3.59%
  • Observed First year yield (on test plant): 7lbs 13.4oz (wet weight)

GLH Diamond Springs™
  • Citrusy/bright, lemon, mint, interesting aroma
  • Alpha: 4.83%
  • Beta: 3.18%
  • Observed First year yield (on test plant): 12lbs 9.8oz (wet weight)

GLH Lawton™
  • Pungent, woody & earthy – not citrusy – totally dank.
  • Alpha: 3.5 -4.0% from uncultivated specimen
  • Beta: 3.0-3.2
  • Yield: high – based on cone size and set on specimen plant
Arcadian sounds like a great one for a Pale Ale. If I ever brew my Tangelo Pale Ale again ,Id have to consider it.

damn man. I haven't had any wildlife remotely interested in mine, and I live in the middle of nowhere in wildlife central. A good shotgun can end your woes, if you are far enough away to safely handle it.

Question: My one plant had its top broken off on the first bine, and now that end is black, but is still getting longer with nice dark green leaves, but there is not active bud on the tip. It now has a 3-4 foot second bine with much lighter colored foliage. I am wondering if I should snip off the nine the broke and go with the next healthy bine regardless of foliage color, or if I should leave them both go and hope for the best. Thoughts from the pros out there?

Update on Petoskey --

My field grade plant from GLH is now nearly 10 feet tall. 3 feet of growth over the weekend. It is sending off 2-4 foot bines nearly daily. It is a beast of a plant already and I am really looking forward to the possibility of a decent cone harvest just in year one. (my definition of decent is 5-10 pounds)

damn man. I haven't had any wildlife remotely interested in mine, and I live in the middle of nowhere in wildlife central. A good shotgun can end your woes, if you are far enough away to safely handle it.

Question: My one plant had its top broken off on the first bine, and now that end is black, but is still getting longer with nice dark green leaves, but there is not active bud on the tip. It now has a 3-4 foot second bine with much lighter colored foliage. I am wondering if I should snip off the nine the broke and go with the next healthy bine regardless of foliage color, or if I should leave them both go and hope for the best. Thoughts from the pros out there?

they lock you up for discharging a fire-arm within city limits.
I do have a large trap and high powered pellet rifle though.
it'll take care of a squirrel.
not sure about a wood chuck though.

GLH
Have not released the Diamond Springs hop as of yet.
I have been waiting on that one since last spring but I have grown all of the other heritage hops in there collection and most of them are yielders.

All of them produced hops the first season

Update:
My Petoskey plant is now over 15 feet tall, extremely healthy, and fully thriving...less than two months of growth and it is a big boy

This is what I’m dealing with. A varmint that picked up the cage and got at the hops. I’ve now nailed the cages down. I’ve tried trapping it but no go either. Tried shooting it but it rarely comes out when I’m home. My dad says he has a bigger trap for raccoons so I’ll try that. For now I just threw really big rocks down into its hole. Accomplished nothing, but I felt better. That’s one of my arcadians.
IMG_0857.JPG

This is what I’m dealing with. A varmint that picked up the cage and got at the hops. I’ve now nailed the cages down. I’ve tried trapping it but no go either. Tried shooting it but it rarely comes out when I’m home. My dad says he has a bigger trap for raccoons so I’ll try that. For now I just threw really big rocks down into its hole. Accomplished nothing, but I felt better. That’s one of my arcadians.View attachment 631761
The only saving grace is that you want to cut all those leaves off anyway to prevent downy and give nutrients to the cones.
Consider it a bonus I suppose.

Meanwhile my Petoskey is 15ft tall, 3 full 15 ft bines. My coir trellis is 12 feet and it had grown along the roof, around to the top of the roof, and then is standing a strong 1-2ft above the roof. Pretty crazy how healthy this plant is

The only saving grace is that you want to cut all those leaves off anyway to prevent downy and give nutrients to the cones.
Consider it a bonus I suppose.

Meanwhile my Petoskey is 15ft tall, 3 full 15 ft bines. My coir trellis is 12 feet and it had grown along the roof, around to the top of the roof, and then is standing a strong 1-2ft above the roof. Pretty crazy how healthy this plant is

Ha! I just thought of that.
Planing to trim the others at the base as their getting bushy.

Well the victim has grown about 5 inches since and my big boy is now almost 8ft.

edit: whelp it got on top of the cages and took about a ft and a halfs worth of leaves off both my plants. It's going to chew through the bines eventually.

I've got a cage trap now and sprinkled chili powder all around the hops since groundhogs hate it.

This is war.
studio-publicity-still-from-caddyshack-bill-murray-1980-orion-all-rights-reserved-file-reference-31715297tha-for-editorial-use-only-PM8TY2.jpg

Last edited:
One of my arcadians is 11 ft. The one that got munched on heavily is 8ft now. My hartwicks are 8 and 6 ft. Haven’t seen the ground hog since I threw rocks in its hole and sprinkled around it’s burrow with chili powder and sprinkled around hops with chili powder. Have had a trap with melon set for a few days now and nothing. Hoping it got the idea and left.

these roots spread fast.
I just noticed about 2 ft away there is a 1.5 ft long bine on the ground.
should I cut that?
it's all thin and spindly.
I have a few thin spindly ones.
should I cut those off also?

Got em! He actually got one side of the cage off the nail on a hop plant but apparently gave up and went for the melon in the trap. Going to take him for a nice 3 mile drive to the park across from the golf course. He won’t make it back.
IMG_0874.JPG

One of my arcadians was a ft from the top of the rope yesterday and it's just about there now.
the wire is about 17-18 ft in the air.
curious to see what happens once it has nowhere else to go but sideways.

the other 4 plants still have another 5-8ft to go.

Update on my Petoskey:
Reached the top of the 14 foot trellis, top has nearly reached the ground!
I currently have between 200-300 cones that have started on this plant!

Interestingly enough, the field grade fuggle (also from GLH) only grew up to around 4 ft and hasn’t done anything since

IMG_0877.JPG

It’s about a ft above the wire now and too high for me to try and train it along the wire.

I assume it will either fall over from weight and climb along the wire or snap?

My arcadians progress. This beast is almost 20 ft long here. Should I try and use a ladder and my pool skimmer pole to get it back on the wire? Or just leave it to do what it wants? Might have to add another 5ft to the top of my system for next yr. though the other plants are still a few ft from the top.
IMG_0894.JPG

My arcadians progress. This beast is almost 20 ft long here. Should I try and use a ladder and my pool skimmer pole to get it back on the wire? Or just leave it to do what it wants? Might have to add another 5ft to the top of my system for next yr. though the other plants are still a few ft from the top. View attachment 635052

I would let it do its thing honestly. Let the top succumb to gravity.

I have limited all of my plants to around 14 feet, most are extremely fond of this limitation. I have a first year Zeus plant this year that has finished hop blossoming, and all cones are now bigger than a quarter. Unfortunately this plant only has about 50-70 cones on it (but for year one, I will take it)

My Petoskey has probably 500-1000 cones starting, its been incredible for a first-year plant!

My first-year cascade rhizome probably has between 250-500 cones starting.

Strangely enough, my first-year fuggle plant from GLH pretty much crapped the bed. stopped at about 4-5 feet tall and hasn't done anything since.

I have limited all of my plants to around 14 feet, most are extremely fond of this limitation. I have a first year Zeus plant this year that has finished hop blossoming, and all cones are now bigger than a quarter. Unfortunately this plant only has about 50-70 cones on it (but for year one, I will take it)

My Petoskey has probably 500-1000 cones starting, its been incredible for a first-year plant!

Strangely enough, my first-year fuggle plant from GLH pretty much crapped the bed. stopped at about 4-5 feet tall and hasn't done anything since.

Noble hops/old world cultivars don't grow well under my conditions/latitude.

I let it do its thing.
got a handfull of sidearms at the tops and some near the bottom.
no buds yet i'm thinking a few more weeks.
harvest time in NYS is traditionally late august / early sept from what i've read.

Also, my sorachi ace, fuggel, and cascade at my parents garden are second yr plants but from GLH and I don't think they like the soil or the plastic on the ground around them since they are only 4ft. I think next yr I will move them to a raised bed like the one's at my house.

My one Arcadian that grew like crazy is starting to flower I think. I see fuzzy things near the top. Only the top 7 or 8 ft have side arms. The other plants are still throwing out side arms. Guess I switch to flowering fertilizer for the one plant? And keep with growth fertilizer for the rest until they flower?

I will have Triumph hops coming to me this fall.

Along with some Polish and hard to find English varietals as well.

Attachments

• 633623AA-8036-459E-81D7-23D927774B26.jpeg
    633623AA-8036-459E-81D7-23D927774B26.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 55
Holey moley!
Plus a sun sail!
How high up are those?

They are only about 7ft up, electrical lines above prevented me from going higher. Look taller because I snapped the picture from halfway up cellar steps, so almost at ground level.

Picked 1.8lbs wet cascade today, along with first bit of the Petoskey. Cascade cone on left, other two are monster Petoskey cones!
IMG_2334.JPG

I'm really curious how that Petoskey (or really any of the other glh heritage varieties) smells/tastes. We moved across the state last year and left our 5 "normal" varieties behind, and are finally ready to replant next spring. Petoskey is on our short list because it sounds interesting and unusual. Can anybody confirm?

I'm really curious how that Petoskey (or really any of the other glh heritage varieties) smells/tastes. We moved across the state last year and left our 5 "normal" varieties behind, and are finally ready to replant next spring. Petoskey is on our short list because it sounds interesting and unusual. Can anybody confirm?

Well, as of now all 4 of my heritage plants arn't ready yet. the cones are getting bigger but still smell like cut grass. The arcadians have the lupalin glands forming but the hartwick I plucked did not.
however, the cones are noticeably bigger almost daily so I will report back after I harvest and dry.

Triumph!!
5 of These Lil Darl'ins just came in This morning!!
They are going to be acclimated slowly 103 today up in the mountains.

Will slowly move them into the greenhouse and then congregate some of them with some of are mother's in a few weeks.

Excited for more flavors to play with.
20190826_130207.jpg
20190826_130158.jpg
20190826_130207.jpg
20190826_130158.jpg

I have grown the heritage hops from GLH for a few years. Since they came out.
Most of them are yielders!
Some very interesting and unique flavors. We are in the beginning part of our hop harvest.
I have several Heritage hops out in the hop yard this year. All except for the diamond Springs.
Never seen this one released.
As you can see from the post above with the Triumph hops. The only thing I love more then hops are hops I have never tried before.

Last edited:
Triumph is a hop that was released by USDA last year. I got a pound from https://freshops.com/ last year and made an IPA with them. My take was that they were a little fruity and maybe a little bubblegum. Thinking they may work better in an amber and maybe some sort of lager?

Triumph is a hop that was released by USDA last year. I got a pound from https://freshops.com/ last year and made an IPA with them. My take was that they were a little fruity and maybe a little bubblegum. Thinking they may work better in an amber and maybe some sort of lager?

Yeah I am looking forward to using them maybe next year once I have them established.
Might even take 2 years depending on growth Conditions. I think they would be good in a hoppy blonde or a cream ale. Maybe even a Hoppy Pilsner!

I harvested all of my hops. for my first year Petoskey (with no trimming of bull shoots and just letting the above ground growth go crazy to support root growth) I harvest right at 1.5 pounds wet. It was right around 1400 cones. Super high in lupulin, extremely resinous, and a wonderful aroma mixture of floral, herbal, and citrusy notes.

I also harvested right at a pound wet of Zeus from two first year plants. Let me tell you, 10 hours in the dehydrator at 95F and came home from work to the dankest smelling house this small WV town has ever smelled

Back