New control system upgrade from manual operation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kladue

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the control system upgrade for my manually controlled Steam injection RIMS system currently in use.http://picasaweb.google.com/kevin.ladue/Phase2Brewery/photo#5030791467733206146
All the components shown will be connected to OPTO 22 plc system hardware and software. Currently have all the parts and pieces but not the time to assemble it as have to spend my time in Chandler arizona supervising another Intel Fab process instrument install job.

Very nicely laid out. I like the features you have in there.

What are you using for the pressure sensor and the flow sensors?

-Duca

I think you have twice as much stuff as you need in there.

Instead of using ignition modules, just use pilot flames.
I wouldn't hard plumb it.
I think flow meters are overkill.

I think you will need temp feedback on your steam or you'll risk overheating things.

But its YOUR brewery.

This brewing system has been in operation for about 5 years in a totaly manual operation making 6 gallon batches with up to 25 Lbs grain for 1.100 max SG. Most of the batches brewed on the old system by myself and SWBO have been for entry in sanctioned competitions or give away to friends. Here are a few pictures of the old system http://picasaweb.google.com/kevin.ladue/OldBrewingSystem

The new control system operation should go as follows,
Fill water tank with total amount of water needed for brewing session
Pump measured amount of water through heater to mash tun at strike water temp
Mash in, (start mill, screw conveyor, stirrer) "future feature"
Recirculate wort and control flow at 1 GPM
Pump water through boiler to make steam for step mash, control flow of water and fuel to control mixed wort/steam temperature
Divert wort to boil kettle and control flow for 30 minute sparge
Use mash tun level sensor for sparge flow correction and sparge cycle control
Pump water through boiler to heat to sparge temp, control fuel to maintain temp
Fire boil kettle after 1 gallon of wort is in kettle and control fuel to hold 210 Deg temp
Ramp kettle burner fuel control to boil setting when 75% of wort is in kettle
Open glycol valve to wort cooler and open kettle outlet valve
Open O2 valve for 3.5 minutes at .5 SCFH for oxygen injection

Components:
Fuel control, STEC SEC 4400&4500 mass flow controllers
Ignition, Honeywell S87 modules with Q317 pilot assembly
Level control, Sensor tec and dresser 0-50" wc pressure transmitters
Flow measurement, Malema flow transmitters
Flow control, Belimo 24V proportional control valves
Flow diversion, Swagelok 24V actuated 3 way valve
O2 control, SS solenoid valve and Dwyer visifloat flow control
Water fill, glycol and fuel lockout, Asco and parker solenoid valves

kladue said:
Components:
Fuel control, STEC SEC 4400&4500 mass flow controllers
Ignition, Honeywell S87 modules with Q317 pilot assembly
Level control, Sensor tec and dresser 0-50" wc pressure transmitters
Flow measurement, Malema flow transmitters
Flow control, Belimo 24V proportional control valves
Flow diversion, Swagelok 24V actuated 3 way valve
O2 control, SS solenoid valve and Dwyer visifloat flow control
Water fill, glycol and fuel lockout, Asco and parker solenoid valves
HUMMMMM...
Thats like $2000+ worth of parts. I think I smell a scavenger. Better not be any SEMITOOL parts in there. :D

Many hours scouting Ebay for parts and pieces, it helps when one works with control equipment and devices on a continous basis to spot the type of devices needed for a system. Working in the calibration, install, and comissioning of process control systems field helps in the design and construction of small control systems. Purchasing and working with SS tubing, fittings, pipe, and hoses in large quantities has it's advantages also. I have added a few pictures of the old system to the system description post.

Yes, I work in the semiconductor industry to. It is amazing how $ is spent and how many valuable items are tossed out. It is great for us scavengers.

Fifelee,
Sounds like you probably get to enjoy working in a bunny suit in a clean room all day. Is this a permanant relocation or only for the tool install duration.

No I’m not a field guy, just one of those evil engineers for an equipment manufacturer (Semitool). I only have to wear the bunny suit a few times a year. Was in Intel’s biggest competitors fab a few months ago. Currently doing some contract design work while SWMBO goes to school. Do you work for Intel or a supplier?

I work for a company called Harder Mechanical in the instrumentation department, and yes we do work for many of the high tech companies and Intel direct for tool install and through various general contractors during facility construction. That is why i am working on my fourth year in Chandler at the Fab 12, 22 and 32 facilty. I also get to enjoy the not so clean environments of pulp and paper, power generation, refinerys, water/waste water treatment facilities, and occasionaly brewerys.

I'm sure you know, but dang Intel is a tough customer. Sounds like you have a job with good variety. Also sounds like great job for building a brewery.

Working on Intel facilities is a challenge as the copy exact, design omissions endless meetings, unreal expectations, and changing safety requirements keep one busy. The upside is they pay well and it does not have a nasty smell, you dont need to wear nomex coverals, and you dont need an escape respirator on you belt at all times. Scavenging leftover SS and teflon tubing and fittings at end of installations is a side benifit, as having most of the cutting, bending tools and welding equipment on company truck does not hurt either.

Latest posts

Back