Spike CF5 fermenter review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k-daddy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I finally got to use my newly purchased CF5 conical. I currently brew using Spike’s mash tun and boil kettle for my 2-kettle RIMS system. Here are my thoughts;

1. All components arrived nicely packaged and are beautifully manufactured, highly polished, and the quality of the material and the welds are top notch.

2. Assembly was a snap with the one exception of fitting the heating element so that it fit correctly between the fermenter and the neoprene jacket. Using the Velcro mating surfaces on the neoprene jacket is helpful as a guide but not exact. Nothing a little trial & error couldn’t fix.

3. The optional, extended bracing shelf, combined with the optional casters is absolutely worth it and is a must purchase IMHO. It provides a very solid stance once filled with 5 gallons of wort.

4. I purchased the “shorty” leg extensions that perfectly compliment the height of my other brewery equipment that sits on a stainless steel worktable. It also allows enough clearance for my NorCal yeast brink that I use for both a trub dump and dry hop pellet injector. I don’t use the 90-degree elbow and instead, attach the 2” butterfly valve directly to the conical and the yeast brink directly to the valve.

5. The optional racking arm, while it doesn’t reach to a significantly lower level than the bottom of the port itself, worked fine as my usual final dry hop additions settle to a level (after cold crashing) that can be reached by the racking arm set in the 6 o’clock position.

6. The optional temperature cooling coil, insulated tubing and quick connects, combined with my glycol chiller works quickly and flawlessly.

7. The sample valve works fine but I did swap it with the thermo well port location so the sample spout would point facing down, allowing for an easier draw. The end of the thermo well shaft, in the angled port on the conical, essentially positions the tip very close to where it would be if connected to the port on the vertical conical wall.

8. The blow-off fitting is what it is… works fine.

9. The optional gas manifold works well for my purposes. I set it up at the time of my first dry hop where I had approximately 5 points remaining before reaching final gravity. I let the pressure build in order to start the carbonation process and contain the dry hop aroma inside the vessel. When it came time to cold crash, I didn’t have to worry about o2 exposure, as there was sufficient pressure inside the conical to take the space of the shrinking, cooling beer.

10. The two butterfly valves work flawlessly operate easily and the plastic handles are comfortable.

11. I purchased the optional carb stone, which is the one accessory that I should have passed on. Wanting to see how it would work before brew day, I set it up with the conical filled with water and the lid off so I could see it in action. Mounted on the racking port, as instructed, the o2 bubbles “foam” out of the stone only to ascend vertically where the tiny bubbles come into contact with the surrounding carb stone enclosure and racking arm where they collect and “re-assemble” into large bubbles where they then percolate in a straight path to the surface. Spike told me that it is in fact effective but I have my doubts seeing it in action. One thought I have is to use my 1-1/2” to 2” TC converter and send the o2 up through the 2” dump valve that would be connected directly to the conical (no elbow) providing a straight shot but not sure if any cold break or other material might settle to the bottom and inhibit the free injection of the o2 once I pitch my yeast. For now, I just utilize my old aeration wand/stone to oxygenate the wort through the top 4” TC port with the cooling coil set to the side.

12. The optional CIP Ball is a great “set it and forget it” device that gives you a big head start on the one thing I like least about brewing… cleanup. I run hot water & PBW through my boil kettle and Riptide pump which works very well.

13. Other tips & small quibbles… I would suggest applying some keg lube to the lid gasket to insure a leak proof seal. I also used my dremel tool to ease the sharp edges on the top and bottom of the clamp bands that seal the lid to the fermenter, as they are very sharp. I also had to replace the O-rings on both the gas manifold post and the carb stone post. They both leaked and, upon inspection, noticed that they were slightly smaller in thickness than those found on my other ball lock posts. I swapped them out and no further leaking issues. If you purchase the heating/cooling TC-100 bundle, the 2 electrical plugs (heating element and small pump) are a tight fit in the digital controller outlet. Not really a problem if you plug the heating element in ahead of the larger pump plug.

Final thoughts…

This is a great piece of equipment that compliments my Spike brew kettle, mash tun as well as my other brewing components. Before purchase, I had narrowed my choice to either the Spike or the Ss Brewtech. My main concern was the Spike lid vs. the Ss Brewtech large top TC opening. I quickly learned that, using a thin application of keg lube on the Spike lid gasket, I eliminated any worry about a less than solid seal and it’s so much easier to clean the Spike conical when you can remove the lid and view the entire inside of the conical. I now know I made the right choice. Happy brewing!

Back