New brewer in SC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwyse

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was about to post a question elsewhere and figured I should introduce myself here first, since nobody wants to read my beer history in a question thread.

I'm new to home brewing. I've brewed three batches so far, all from extract kits that my LHBS puts together, but I actually haven't tasted any of the final products yet.

I brewed my first batch (Irish red ale) just a little over a month ago. It's bottled now, but I'm giving it another week or so before I try it. My hydrometer readings were all out of whack for various reasons (my fault; I didn't know what I was doing) and I have no idea how it's going to turn out.

My second batch is an Irish stout that's been in secondary for about 4 weeks now, and hasn't quite dropped to the target SG (it's off by 0.003). After a lot of HBT reading today, it sounds like this is a common occurrence with Munton's (standard) dry yeast, so I guess I'll be bottling it soon and trying some new yeast.

My third batch is a California common / steam ale. It's been in secondary for a week now.

I'm really enjoying the process so far. HBT is an incredible resource, and it always gets me excited about the possibilities for future batches.

Josh

New to brewing and having the will to let it sit a couple weeks before trying it? You sir are a far more patient man than I :D

And welcome to HBT :mug:

Well... I did crack open a bottle of the red ale tonight to sample it with some friends (including the 2 that helped me brew that first batch). :mug:

It's been bottled for two weeks, and refrigerated for 2 days, and it was quite tasty. I'm very excited to see how it tastes after another week. Of course the hard part will be waiting. :)

Back