NEIPA Recipe/Process Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattman91

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a NEIPA, so I'd like to ask for some feedback on my recipe and process.

This is a 2.5 gallon batch brewed on my Anvil Foundry 6.5.

Grist:

70% 2 Row
10% White Wheat
10% Oat Malt
10% Chit Malt

Hops:

Equal parts of Galaxy, Citra, and Mosaic hopstand at 176° for 20 minutes(1 oz each)

Equal parts of the same hops for dry hopping (1 oz each)

I’ll add a pinch of Magnum early in the boil to make sure I get enough bitterness. Brewfather gave me about 30 IBU without, 42 with .15 oz of Magnum at 45 minutes (doing a 45 minute boil). I realize I'll probably need to reevaluate this when I know what the exact AA of my hops are.

Yeast:

Verdant IPA. Brewing 2.5-3 gallon batches, I'm a fan of using dry yeast. I have heard good things about this one.

I’ll use a water profile with a 2:1 chloride to sulfate ratio (Hoppy NEIPA profile in Brewfather).

I’ll mash at 153°.

I’ll ferment at 67° for around 9-10 days then add dry hops for 3-4 days at the same temperature. I do not want to do any active fermentation dry hopping because Verdant Brewing does not do it and I am using their yeast. Also, last time I tried doing that I think I got some pretty intense hop creep.

This will be a 2.5 gallon batch that I will be fermenting in my 3 gallon keg with floating dip tube. To dry hop, I will make a blanket of CO2 and gently add the hops in a sanitized muslin bag, then seal and purge with more CO2.

After the hops have been in for about 3 days, I’ll pressure transfer to a sanitized CO2 purged keg and carbonate.

Target Numbers:

1.067 OG
1.016 FG
6.7% ABV
42 IBU
4.6 SRM

How does this look? Any feedback/recommendations?

This is my first attempt at a NEIPA, so I'd like to ask for some feedback on my recipe and process.

Grist:

70% 2 Row
10% White Wheat
10% Oat Malt
10% Chit Malt

Hops:

Equal parts of Galaxy, Citra, and Mosaic hopstand at 176° for 20 minutes(1 oz each)

I’ll add a pinch of Magnum early in the boil to make sure I get enough bitterness. Brewfather gave me about 30 IBU without, 42 with .15 oz of Magnum at 45 minutes (doing a 45 minute boil). I realize I'll probably need to reevaluate this when I know what the exact AA of my hops are.

Yeast:

Verdant IPA. Brewing 2.5-3 gallon batches, I'm a fan of using dry yeast. I have heard good things about this one.

I’ll use a water profile with a 2:1 chloride to sulfate ratio (Hoppy NEIPA profile in Brewfather).

I’ll mash at 153°.

I’ll ferment at 67° for around 9-10 days then add dry hops for 3-4 days at the same temperature. I do not want to do any active fermentation dry hopping because Verdant Brewing does not do it and I am using their yeast. Also, last time I tried doing that I think I got some pretty intense hop creep.

This will be a 2.5 gallon batch that I will be fermenting in my 3 gallon keg with floating dip tube. To dry hop, I will make a blanket of CO2 and gently add the hops in a sanitized muslin bag, then seal and purge with more CO2.

After the hops have been in for about 3 days, I’ll pressure transfer to a sanitized CO2 purged keg and carbonate.

Target Numbers:

1.067 OG
1.016 FG
6.7% ABV
42 IBU
4.6 SRM

How does this look? Any feedback/recommendations?

How are you making a "blanket" of CO2?
Stream it in through the gas post while adding dry hops, seal it up, and purge 13x at 30psi.

Make sure your serving keg is properly purged too.

How are you making a "blanket" of CO2?
Stream it in through the gas post while adding dry hops, seal it up, and purge 13x at 30psi.

Make sure your serving keg is properly purged too.

I figured I could fill it with 20-30 lb of CO2 then quickly open and close the top, then purge it several times

For the serving keg, I plan on filling with Star San and pushing it out with CO2.

I just run a few psi as I open the hatch for the hops. Set em in , close the hatch and purge a handful of times @ 10 psi .

Other then that looks good .

Anything I should know when I push from fermenting keg to serving keg? Any certain pressure I should use to transfer it? I guess it would just need to be a higher pressure than what the serving tank is at after I push out the Star San.

Anything I should know when I push from fermenting keg to serving keg? Any certain pressure I should use to transfer it? I guess it would just need to be a higher pressure than what the serving tank is at after I push out the Star San.

When I transfer from fv to keg it's only a few psi . I leave the prv on the keg open.

Grist:

70% 2 Row
10% White Wheat
10% Oat Malt
10% Chit Malt

Hops:

I’ll add a pinch of Magnum early in the boil to make sure I get enough bitterness. Brewfather gave me about 30 IBU without, 42 with .15 oz of Magnum at 45 minutes (doing a 45 minute boil). I realize I'll probably need to reevaluate this when
I see nothing wrong with this. You’ll be the final judge when it’s finished to see if you like the mouthfeel and hop aroma and flavor while not being a bitter bomb.
I do 2.5G batches too. My session NEIPA recipe I follow the water profile outlined by Martin Brungard Zymurgy May/June 2017 pg 35 which does promote a 2:1 Cl:SO4 ratio. My malt bill is MO:40%, Red wheat:30%, Flaked oats:10%, Golden naked oats:10%, Acid malt:2%. Mash at 154F and pH 5.3 I bitter with Magnum hops at beginning of 60 min boil with calculated target of 40 IBU. I reserve aroma and flavor hops for the whirlpool hopstand at 160F for 30 min with 3oz Mosaic T90 pellets and DH for 3 days in the fermentor with combo of Mosaic cryo, Citra T90, and Amarillo T90. I use to DH in the keg and leave it until the keg kicks but after having an experience where hop bag landed too close to pick up tube resulting in significant hop burn I went back to DH in fermenter. I’ve found that I still get IBUs during the hopstand and why the boil hop bittering targets 40 IBU. I’ve moved from using Conan yeast to using Hornindal Kveik fermenting at 95F. This yeast finishes in 2 days allowing to go from brew day to serving from keg in 7 days! The Hornindal Kveik fermented hot throws off nice esters which adds to the juicy taste of my NEIPA. I also do a zero O2 xfer from fermenter to my purged keg. After nine months in the keg my NEIPA taste as good as when keg first tapped.

I see nothing wrong with this. You’ll be the final judge when it’s finished to see if you like the mouthfeel and hop aroma and flavor while not being a bitter bomb.
I do 2.5G batches too. My session NEIPA recipe I follow the water profile outlined by Martin Brungard Zymurgy May/June 2017 pg 35 which does promote a 2:1 Cl:SO4 ratio. My malt bill is MO:40%, Red wheat:30%, Flaked oats:10%, Golden naked oats:10%, Acid malt:2%. Mash at 154F and pH 5.3 I bitter with Magnum hops at beginning of 60 min boil with calculated target of 40 IBU. I reserve aroma and flavor hops for the whirlpool hopstand at 160F for 30 min with 3oz Mosaic T90 pellets and DH for 3 days in the fermentor with combo of Mosaic cryo, Citra T90, and Amarillo T90. I use to DH in the keg and leave it until the keg kicks but after having an experience where hop bag landed too close to pick up tube resulting in significant hop burn I went back to DH in fermenter. I’ve found that I still get IBUs during the hopstand and why the boil hop bittering targets 40 IBU. I’ve moved from using Conan yeast to using Hornindal Kveik fermenting at 95F. This yeast finishes in 2 days allowing to go from brew day to serving from keg in 7 days! The Hornindal Kveik fermented hot throws off nice esters which adds to the juicy taste of my NEIPA. I also do a zero O2 xfer from fermenter to my purged keg. After nine months in the keg my NEIPA taste as good as when keg first tapped.

What's the actual Cl:SO4 that you have success with?

I shoot for 100ppm Cl ions to 50ppm SO4 ions

Back