Need some opinions on when to rack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keatond

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Long time lurker, decided to finally post a question I had. I currently have a ~3 gallon going right now of black cherry cider. 1 quart of black cherry juice, 3 gallons Trader Joe's Cider. It is currently sitting in the primary and it is about 2 weeks in. Currently very minimal amount of airlock activity (~1 bubble ever 2 min).

So my question to all of you, how long do you let your ciders sit on the primary lees before racking to secondary?

Thanks for the info!

If you have a hydrometer, take a measurement today, and then again in 2-3 days. If the measurements stay the same, it's still fermenting. As far as going to secondary, I think it mostly depends on what you want to do, though some people let it go dry and them move. Bottling still? Carbed? Aging it? Still and aged? Carbed and aged?

If you have a hydrometer, take a measurement today, and then again in 2-3 days. If the measurements stay the same, it's still fermenting. As far as going to secondary, I think it mostly depends on what you want to do, though some people let it go dry and them move. Bottling still? Carbed? Aging it? Still and aged? Carbed and aged?

ah! I knew I wasn't going to get by with such little detail. :)
Starting gravity was 1.07 and is current at 1.02.
I was going to let it go all the way dry and then back-sweeten with non fermentable sugar.
I am going to bottle carb with half a can of concentrated apple juice because it worked so perfectly with my last batch. It gave a nice carbonation after 2 weeks.

I am just wondering about racking because I have heard that the cider can get an off taste from being on the lees for too long.

If you are going to let it sit in the secondary a while (months) it's not that important that it's done. I usually wait til it's 1.010 but have done 1.020. It will continue and might even speed up a little after racking. P. S. That combo sounds yummy. I've been wanting to try cherry but the wife hates cherries. Pom is my usual second juice.

Gah, sorry, was talking with someone when posting last time, meant if the measurements stay the same it's done fermenting.

If it's dropped 0.050 in 2 weeks, and is now at 1.020, you could let it finish fermenting until dry, as that might only take another 2 weeks. With 1.070, you've got 9.19% ABV (BF's calc) or a range of 8.8%-10% ABV depending on the calculation you use on a chart like this one.

Gah, sorry, was talking with someone when posting last time, meant if the measurements stay the same it's done fermenting.

If it's dropped 0.050 in 2 weeks, and is now at 1.020, you could let it finish fermenting until dry, as that might only take another 2 weeks. With 1.070, you've got 9.19% ABV (BF's calc) or a range of 8.8%-10% ABV depending on the calculation you use on a chart like this one.

Yeah that is probably what I will do, I just wanted to make sure that nothing would create an off flavor being on the lees for 4-5 weeks.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah that is probably what I will do, I just wanted to make sure that nothing would create an off flavor being on the lees for 4-5 weeks.

Thanks for the help!

I wouldn't let cider sit on the gross lees for 4-5 weeks. Depending on yeast strain, you could get some weird flavors from it.

I rack once the cider or wine is 1.010 or below, or whenever there are lees 1/4" thick or any lees at all in 60 days, even if just a dusting.

I usually rack to secondary when bubbling has slowed and SG is below 1.010. That's typically 2 weeks for me. I have had people notice a yeasty taste in my cider when I've gone beyond that.

If you are going to let it sit in the secondary a while (months) it's not that important that it's done. I usually wait til it's 1.010 but have done 1.020. It will continue and might even speed up a little after racking. P. S. That combo sounds yummy. I've been wanting to try cherry but the wife hates cherries. Pom is my usual second juice.

Not sure I agree that racking will make fermentation speed up even a little. What you do when you rack is remove a certain quantity of active yeast with the lees and that has the tendency to slow things down (and help clarify perhaps because racking also removes a portion of the CO2 and it is the CO2 that helps keep particles in suspension). In fact, sometimes if you rack too soon you are more likely to stall the fermentation...

Well I have never had it stall and I have seen fermentation become more active after racking many times. I usually rack around 1.010 but have as soon as 1.020 and as late as 1.000

Not sure why or the science behind it but in my relatively short experience (6 batches a year for 4 years) it has been my observation. Your results may vary.

Back