Need Some input please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiepc

Reaction score
Please take a look at this and give me your opinion as I am not familiar with Columbus hops. Should I go with this or cut back or substitute. I am still learning!!
This is an extract Brew 5 gallon.

9# LME Extra light extract
1.5# Caramel/Crystal 15L

1.0 oz. Columbus 60 min
2.0 oz. Columbus 5 min
2.0 oz. Columbus 1 min

Safale US-05

Any help appreciated :mug:

Is this an IPA? if so I would definitely cut the crystal to at least 0.5lb
Sweetness clashes with the hop character

for the hop additions, I;d do something similar, but more effective.
1oz @60
3oz @ 0 *hopstand for 20-30min before chilling*
1oz dry

I did a Columbus APA with 2 row and some toasted 2 row. I only used .5 ounce of Columbus hops. It was quite good.

You are most definitely in the IPA range with this recipe. I say GO FOR IT!

I did a IIPA with 2 oz of columbus early in the boil.

I ran your numbers in my brewing software and you are to style with a IPA.

Go for it!:tank:

Let us know what you decide. :ban:

This seems to be quite a lot of hops, should I cut back some? I have read that some report an onion like flavor using Columbus hops, anyone find this to be true? I also have some Cascade hops on hand if needed.

I am asking these questions so I don't brew something that is not enjoyable to drink. It will be a few days until I can brew this because of the cold weather so I am in no hurry & will wait for any input.

Thanks again :mug:

This seems to be quite a lot of hops, should I cut back some? I have read that some report an onion like flavor using Columbus hops, anyone find this to be true? I also have some Cascade hops on hand if needed.

I am asking these questions so I don't brew something that is not enjoyable to drink. It will be a few days until I can brew this because of the cold weather so I am in no hurry & will wait for any input.

Thanks again :mug:

I've not experienced onion flavor with Columbus, so can't help you with that. I think this recipe looks good and you'd make an enjoyable beer with it.

You might consider diversifying your hops - this gives a little more complexity to the hop flavor and aroma. Hops similar but different from Columbus include Centennial and Cascade. So you could use the Columbus at 60 minutes, the Centennial at the second addition, then back to Columbus for the final addition, for example.

Also, an IPA really benefits from dry hopping. It ramps up the aroma a lot. Do you know how to dry hop?

I've not experienced onion flavor with Columbus, so can't help you with that. I think this recipe looks good and you'd make an enjoyable beer with it.

You might consider diversifying your hops - this gives a little more complexity to the hop flavor and aroma. Hops similar but different from Columbus include Centennial and Cascade. So you could use the Columbus at 60 minutes, the Centennial at the second addition, then back to Columbus for the final addition, for example.

Also, an IPA really benefits from dry hopping. It ramps up the aroma a lot. Do you know how to dry hop?

Yes, I have dry hopped before. Think it would be ok to dry hop with some of the cascade hops I have?

There are many commercial IPAs which use columbus and cascade among other similar "c" hops. Hell they even make a blend called Falconers Flight and Falconer Seven Cs that include columbus and cascade

I did a IIPA with 2 oz of columbus early in the boil.

I ran your numbers in my brewing software and you are to style with a IPA.

Go for it!:tank:

Let us know what you decide. :ban:

What brewing software do you use?

My last batch was an all Columbus IPA, lots of garlic and onion at first. About 2 weeks after kegging it turned into a super danky flavor. It was ok, not my favorite. If I were to use them again I'd put equal amounts of something else, like centennial or cascade.

My last batch was an all Columbus IPA, lots of garlic and onion at first. About 2 weeks after kegging it turned into a super danky flavor. It was ok, not my favorite. If I were to use them again I'd put equal amounts of something else, like centennial or cascade.

Thanks, I had read that there were some off flavors with all Columbus hops, I may just go halves with cascade that I have on hand. :mug:

Back