Need Some Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lesstjm

Reaction score
I am looking for a recipe for Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter. I seen that a recipe was in the Dec 2009 "Brew Your Own Magazine" but I do not have access to it. Does anyone have a copy?

I am new to brewing. I am hoping it is an extract recipe.

The recipe listed in BYO is:

6.6# Coopers Light Unhopped Extract
1.1# Light DME
12oz Crystal 60L
8oz Chocolate Malt
8oz Roasted Barley
1oz Northern Brewer 9% AAU @ 60
.5oz Fuggle 4.75% AAU @ 30
.5oz Cascade 5.75% AAU @ flameout
WLP013 / Wyeast 1028

Thanks for the reminder. EF is probably my favorite porter and I was wondering what I should brew next. I also just happen to have some leftover fuggles and cascade in the freezer so I think I know what I'm going to be brewing soon.

Wow- thanks for the reminder you guys! I forgot that I wanted to make an EF clone this fall.

I'm going to use Ohiobrewtus' recipe. He gave me some a couple of years ago, and it was FANTASTIC. I think it's only an AG recipe, though I suppose it could be converted to extract easily enough.

I found a link to someone who brewed this

http://quantumfish.com/2010/04/22/great-lakes-edmund-fitzgerald-porter-clone/

and have the following step by step intstructions.

OG 1.060
FG 1.015
IBU 37
ABV 5.8%
SRM 34

1. Steep grains in 1.5 gal water @ 155° 30 minutes
2. Bring water to a boil. Once boiling add Northern Brewer for 60 minutes
3. 30 minutes into the boil add Fuggle for 30 minutes
4. 45 minutes into boil add DME (15 minutes left) and yeast nutrient (15 minutes left)
5. Cascade @ 0 minutes

Place in primary for 3 days
Secondary: 11 days and check FG.

*One final deviation I’ve made to my version is to use late extract addition and with the DME. This leads to a slightly higher IBU due to greater hop utilization. It could also potentially reduce the effects of extract caramelization which include a higher SRM (darker color) and off tastes. In the case of a dark beer such as a porter, these aren’t significant issues anyway.

What does it mean in Step 5 where he says add cascade hops at the end? Do I put it in the primary fermentor?

I missed adding fermentables in above instrauctions. Here is corrected version but I am still not sure what to dowith Cascade hops

1. Bring 1.5 gallons of water to 155 degrees. Move stove switch to low and try to maintain that temp. Steep Grains in muslin bag for 30 mins.
2. After 30 mins. I remove the grain bag and poured in the Coopers Light Unhopped Extract
3. Put pot back on burner and brought to a boil
4. Once boiling add Northern Brewer for 60 minutes
5. 30 minutes into the boil add Fuggle for 30 minutes
6. 45 minutes into boil add DME (15 minutes left) and yeast nutrient (15 minutes left)
7. Cascade @ 0 minutes

I was just thinking- I don't think I like that recipe. I get NO cascades in the nose of Edmund Fitzgerald. It's been a while since I had it, though. Maybe a mix of fuggles and cascade keep the "citrus" down.

OK. So I add the cascade at finish of boiling. When do I remove? Just before I put in fermenter?

OK. So I add the cascade at finish of boiling. When do I remove? Just before I put in fermenter?

If you strain your wort before it goes into the fermenter, you should catch them then. I don't strain my wort, but there are those who do. I don't "remove" hops, I just brew, chill, and then put my wort in the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back