Need A Recipe for a Winter Brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobW944

Reaction score
I’m looking to brew something festive to give out some 6 packs to some friends and family around Christmas. Anyone have a tried and true winter recipe they’d suggest? Thinking maybe a porter or a spiced winter ale, maybe both.

I would say yes to the Porter. Perhaps with vanilla and maybe bourbon. However you are really out of time to age anything and have the flavors blend.

I would say yes to the Porter. Perhaps with vanilla and maybe bourbon. However you are really out of time to age anything and have the flavors blend.
Yeah I agree on the ageing time.
I made a porter for Christmas last year, brewed on Labor Day and it was just decent by Christmas.
It was really good by Mid-January. Unfortunately the kids had all gone back to their homes and I had to deal with most of a keg all by myself.

On the positive side, if you are bottling, you can tell your recipients to let it age in the bottle for a month or two...

Here is a recipe for 5 gallons of a strong porter that nods in the direction of the Baltics. Smooth and ~8% ABV seems festive and suited for winter.

6 lbs. English pale ale (e.g., Maris Otter)
6 lbs. light Munich
0.4 lbs. Simpsons DRC
0.4 lbs. Carafa III Special
0.4 lbs. crystal rye
0.4 lbs. chocolate rye

20 g Phoenix (9.1% AA) @ 60
20 g Saaz (4.3% AA) @ 60
20 g Phoenix (9.1% AA) @ 10
20 g Saaz (4.3% AA) @ 10

2 packs W34/70, fermented at 54 F.

Notes, suggestions, and modifications: Phoenix hops are really hard to find (I order from Northwest Hop Farms, but they're pretty much the only supplier I know of who has them right now.) And there's nothing that's similar. I think they're worth the trouble, but if you decide to go without, use any good bittering hop at 60, 40 g of Saaz at 10, and target 40-50 IBU total. If you don't have good fermentation temperature control, I'd still use the 34/70; if you're above 65 F or so, you could probably get away with one pack. But I bet a neutral ale yeast (Nottingham, US-05) would be fine, too. If you can't find the DRC, Briess Extra Special (not Special) might be an ok substitute, and you could swap in a medium or dark English crystal for the crystal rye if needed. When you're milling, remember that rye is smaller than barley. Finally, make sure you use the Carafa Special; you don't want that husk in there.

Edit: It's more bitter and more hoppy than a typical Baltic, plus it's got a hodgepodge of English and Continental ingredients. But that may be why it's good without any extended lagering (which is not to say it doesn't get better after a month cold, or a few. But I like it still, practically right out of the fermenter.)

Last edited:
Here is a recipe for 5 gallons of a strong porter that nods in the direction of the Baltics. Smooth and ~8% ABV seems festive and suited for winter.

6 lbs. English pale ale (e.g., Maris Otter)
6 lbs. light Munich
0.4 lbs. Simpsons DRC
0.4 lbs. Carafa III Special
0.4 lbs. crystal rye
0.4 lbs. chocolate rye

20 g Phoenix (9.1% AA) @ 60
20 g Saaz (4.3% AA) @ 60
20 g Phoenix (9.1% AA) @ 10
20 g Saaz (4.3% AA) @ 10

2 packs W34/70, fermented at 54 F.

Notes, suggestions, and modifications: Phoenix hops are really hard to find (I order from Northwest Hop Farms, but they're pretty much the only supplier I know of who has them right now.) And there's nothing that's similar. I think they're worth the trouble, but if you decide to go without, use any good bittering hop at 60, 40 g of Saaz at 10, and target 40-50 IBU total. If you don't have good fermentation temperature control, I'd still use the 34/70; if you're above 65 F or so, you could probably get away with one pack. But I bet a neutral ale yeast (Nottingham, US-05) would be fine, too. If you can't find the DRC, Briess Extra Special (not Special) might be an ok substitute, and you could swap in a medium or dark English crystal for the crystal rye if needed. When you're milling, remember that rye is smaller than barley. Finally, make sure you use the Carafa Special; you don't want that husk in there.

Edit: It's more bitter and more hoppy than a typical Baltic, plus it's got a hodgepodge of English and Continental ingredients. But that may be why it's good without any extended lagering (which is not to say it doesn't get better after a month cold, or a few. But I like it still, practically right out of the fermenter.)
Love the DRC and Rye combo!

Back