Need some feedback on extract wheat beer recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh14025

Reaction score
I want to make a real quick wheat beer to end the summer on, so I have this selection of ingredients I'm brewing with:

1 can Munton's hopped wheat beer kit
3 lbs. Briess bavarian wheat DME
1 oz. Cascade hop pellets 5% AA
Safbrew S-33 yeast, and the mystery yeast supplied with the Munton's kit

My only dilemma is which yeast to use, I'm sure it would be fine with the Munton's yeast, but I've never used one of their kits. I usually use DME and my own hops and yeast. I've heard mixed reviews on the S-33 I've had laying around, so I'm not sure how it would be in this beer. I plan on boiling the DME and adding the liquid extract at flame out, and dry-hopping with the cascade pellets. Thanks for the advice!

S-33, no question. It's for wheat beers. Just watch the temperature range you use it in. Mid to high 60's probably. (Disclaimer: I haven't used it, but a friend of mine has)

Throw the Munton's yeast into the boil 5 minutes before flameout, it'll cook down into a great nutrient for the S-33.

I don't have a very good means of controlling temperature, it will most likely be in the mid 70's.

I don't have a very good means of controlling temperature, it will most likely be in the mid 70's.

get a rope tub from walmart (or target etc), fill it part way with water, sit the fermenter in water. Cover with a wet shirt or towel. rotate 2 liter bottles of ice into the tub at least twice a day.. that will do wonders for your temps

*shrug* s-33 might be ok in the mid 70's. I don't know how much of it's own heat it generates during rapid fermentation though. I didn't used to think people were serious when they talked about that and then i had a batch of pumpkin porter jump past 80f with S-05. I really hope that beer turns out drinkable. It sure smelled delicious.

and i think wormwaper means bottles of ice.

*shrug* s-33 might be ok in the mid 70's. I don't know how much of it's own heat it generates during rapid fermentation though. I didn't used to think people were serious when they talked about that and then i had a batch of pumpkin porter jump past 80f with S-05. I really hope that beer turns out drinkable. It sure smelled delicious.

and i think wormwaper means bottles of ice.

durrrrrrrrr, yeah, you're right, I went stupid for a second while typing :D

Thanks guys, I'm looking for a quick fermentation so I can enjoy it as my last summer beer. The S-33 sounds like the perfect choice! I'll save the muntons yeast for the next cheap ale I make.

Back