Need some advice...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeordye11

Reaction score
So I recently relocated to NC and started living with my g/f. Well, let's just say things aren't going stellar. Now she is going to third shift and we are never gonna see each other, which presents another problem. I typically don't get home until 8pm, and I usually leave home by 9am. (Hour drive to work and no set hours) So I guess I'm just wondering if anyone out there has any experience in a relationship where one person works third shift and the other works second and how do you make it work? I'm at my wits end here, but I really dig this girl and hope we can figure something out. Cheers!

The BEST way to make it work is to be VERY HAPPY to see each other when you do. NEVER argue about ANYTHING!! Leave her notes, small gifts and/or flowers every once in a while...just to let her know you miss her...I make "love/sentimental/her best song(s)" CDs for my wife to listen to when I go on travel when she doesn't come along.

That's about all I can offer you at the moment.;)

skeeordye11 said:
So I recently relocated to NC and started living with my g/f. Well, let's just say things aren't going stellar.

I'm at my wits end here, but I really dig this girl and hope we can figure something out. Cheers!

Hmmmm...you sure you want it to work? Your wording does not have me convinced. I would say that if you both want it to work, it will. Things will change over and over again in the course of a relationship. What should stay the same is that you want to be together. Everything else is details. I had a job where I had to go away 5 days a week. My g/f and I missed the crap outta each other, but alway MISSED each other. That was 10 years, a marriage and 3 kids ago :tank:

Married in '95 and was on night shift for 98% of that time. Divorced last December. Follow homebrewer_99's advice.

Wild

I travel a lot for work and typically only see my wife on Saturday Night and Sunday. We've made it work by setting that time aside for just us as often as possible. We go out to dinner, rent a movie, go to the beach, ect... I like it because we both have time to ourselves for chores and errands and can spend all day Sunday together.

HB_99 has also has great advice, flowers or a card for no reason go a long long way with most women.

As for living together in general, it can be awfully hard putting up with each others little idiosyncrasies, just try not to get annoyed by the small stuff that doesn't really matter (like who moved the dish soap ect...) and focus on the things you enjoy about being together.

Back