Need Help (Engineering A Pet Door)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
So here is a gate that my wife and I recently purchased for our new puppy, who turned 3 months old today. The gate also has a little door for cats (we have 2) to pass through. See pics below:

83b9d8a9-57d0-44c1-915c-7e69acf948e6_zpsb21989f2.jpg

f4870778-3088-4fac-9894-8c30754786d2_zpsdb3bade8.jpg

The problem is, the dog can fit through the cat door. We wanted to put the kitty litter and kitty food on the other side of the gate leaving the cat door open, so our dog couldn't get into the cat stuff. However, that's not working with this gate.

Can any of you engineers out there give any ideas/suggestions on how to "shrink" the cat door so our dog can't slip through? I realize our dog will probably grow up in 2 months and not be able to get through anymore, but we need a fix now, now in 2 months.

Help is appreciated!

I had the exact same issue a few months ago. All I did is tied some string to the gate and cat door to keep it open just far enough for the cats to get thru but keep the dog out. However it was kind of pointless cause the cats rarely used the door and instead just jumped over the gate.

Can you just move the whole thing up about 6"? I have a really fat cat, and when he gets hungry it's pretty humorous to watch him shimmy under the baby gate.

Leave the cat door closed and just remove one of the posts in it.

I like this idea, but the dog may actually be able to even slip through that opening as well...And who knows if the cats will be able to fit. It seems like a "permanent" solution, so if I go this route, I can't go back :/

If you're OK with it opening one way, you could cut a small strip of wood to span the small opening that would close the opening to the size you wanted. Then secure said piece of wood with a couple small u-bolts to the stationary vertical pieces on either side of the door. Total cost of maybe $5, and doesn't permanently change the door.

But if you can just move the thing up 6", and shove your cat under it a few times to show him he/she will fit, that might be simpler.

Is there possibly enough room for the cat to squeeze by between the door jamb and the gate frame?

Back