Need help converting this recipe!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigErv

Reaction score
I recently found this recipe but it is for all-grain and I am not set up for all grain. I was wondering if somebody could help me convert it to extract. I tried to convert it using Beersmith but I am not sure if I was doing it right. Thanks

8 lbs of American 2 row pale
1 lbs Carastan
1 lbs Cara-pils/Dextrine
5 oz brown sugar, light

90 mins- .5 oz Simcoe
60 mins- .5 oz Columbus
15 mins- .25 oz Simcoe
15 mins- .25 oz Columbus
10 mins- .5 oz Cascade
1 mins- .25 oz Simcoe
1 mins- .5 oz Columbus
14 days- dry hops - .5 oz Sincoe
14 days- dry hops - .5 oz Amarillo

yeast- Wyeast American Ale II (1272)

btw i will need to do a partial boil if it is extract. i appreciate any help

Replace the 2-row with 6 lbs of LME, or 5 lbs DME, and have at it.

I wouldn't bother about the IBU difference with doing a partial boil. If it bothers you, you could start with half the extract, and add the rest at about 20 minutes to get better hop utilization, or up the bittering hops by 10% (that's about all you lose with doing a partial boil).

I'd add 1/2 the extract at the beginning, and 1/2 at the end to keep it from darkening and getting excessive maillard reactions.

I'd reduce it to a 60 minute boil, as a 90 minute boil is a LONG time for a partial boil and you'll end up with about 1 gallon at the end!

You only get a tiny bit more of IBUs in a 90 minute boil vs. a 60 minute boil anyway, so I'd use the 90 minute simcoe at 60 minutes and call it good. Add the brown sugar at flame out.

I wouldn't use both carastan and carapils- I'd ditch the carapils. 20% crystal malt is too much, particularly with an extract beer.

how does this look??

6 lbs of liquid pale malt extract ( 3 lbs at beginning and 3 pounds at flame out)
Steep: 1 lbs Carastan
Add: 5 oz brown sugar, light at flame out

60 mins- .5 oz Simcoe
60 mins- .5 oz Columbus
15 mins- .25 oz Simcoe
15 mins- .25 oz Columbus
10 mins- .5 oz Cascade
1 mins- .25 oz Simcoe
1 mins- .5 oz Columbus

how does this look??

6 lbs of liquid pale malt extract ( 3 lbs at beginning and 3 pounds at flame out)
Steep: 1 lbs Carastan
Add: 5 oz brown sugar, light at flame out

60 mins- .5 oz Simcoe
60 mins- .5 oz Columbus
15 mins- .25 oz Simcoe
15 mins- .25 oz Columbus
10 mins- .5 oz Cascade
1 mins- .25 oz Simcoe
1 mins- .5 oz Columbus

I like it, although it's a little low on OG for so many hops. It may be a bit bitter for the OG. If that's what you intend, that's great. I'd probably add another pound or two of extract, just to get the OG in the IPA range to support all those hops.

I like the hopping schedule!

The simcoe/Columbus/Cascade is one of my favorite mixes for an IPA. Looks like a good beer to me. THe brown sugar at flame out will a bit of sweetness. It almost looks like Lagunitas "Brown Shugga' ".

i am really pumped to try this recipe out. thanks guys for all your help. i will let you know how it turns out.

Back