[Need Critique] First Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeybox

Reaction score
Planning on brewing a Kolsch while may basement is still cold enough. I know the recipes are very simple. I was thinking about spiking mine with a small amount of Biscuit Malt.

Here's the recipe for a 5.5 gallon batch:
8lb 8oz German Pilsner (2 row)
12 oz Munich
4 oz Biscuit

1.25oz Spalter Hops - 90 minute

Wyeast Labs #2565 Kolsch Yeast

Mash at 148-150 for 60 minutes. Single 60-minute boil

Should be able to ferment in the low 60's. I'll put it directly on the cement floor in a Michigan basement, so it should stay pretty cold.

Nothing too complicated. Beersmith expects it to be within style, though at the high end of the ABV. I'm hoping for something clean and malty.

Main question is whether I should scrap the biscuit or leave it in.

Personally I'd scrap it and the Munich too. Simple is best here. Pilsner malt is all you need, a little malted wheat is optional.

Just 2565 and pilsner (preferably weyermann) is a great beer. Be prepared for a huge krausen and long fermentation. If you choose to use the Munich, it might be a better beer, but not really to style if that's what you're after.

When one searches for "Kolsch Recipe" on google, this is the first link. That's the recipe I started with.

I ended up going with the posted recipe. Tasted clean when it went into the fermenter. I'll post again when it's bottled.

I made a kick-a** one with a 1lb or so of munich and 1lb or so of wheat. This style is much more fermentation centric than malt centric, but personally I say leave the munich in and remove the biscuit.

FWIW, this beer was amazing. It may not be to style, but it was clean, crisp, and the biscuit came through like I'd hoped. If I am to redo it again (which is likely), I'll probably up the biscuit a little and drop the bitterness just slightly. I'll also make 10 gallons, because this delicious easy drinker just disappears.

Back