Need a recipe (or 2)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Docapi

Reaction score
My Mother in law gave me 6 quarts of elderberry juice and 5 of crabapple juice, with strict instructions to make wine from them.

Every recipe I can find calls for the whole fruits, not just the juices.

Any ideas for a nice semi sweet wine that can be made from this stuff- either together or separately?

They are all pretty much the same basic process.

Add some sugar, add some water or not...
some yeast nutrient...some acid if needed...presto! Wine.
You could sub your juice for any juice in the wine section, or start with your thoughts and we'll help you formulate one of your own.

My Mother in law gave me 6 quarts of elderberry juice and 5 of crabapple juice, with strict instructions to make wine from them.

Every recipe I can find calls for the whole fruits, not just the juices.

Any ideas for a nice semi sweet wine that can be made from this stuff- either together or separately?
Hi Docapi: Had an idea for a cider/wine recipe using your crabapple juice. Maybe mix your crabapple juice with some fresh-pressed "cider" (juice) the brown, cloudy stuff, in about a 70:30 ratio, add a bit of honey or sugar for an ABV of about 11-12% Add a bit of tannin for a nice "bite" & let it ferment dry with a good champagne yeast & let it bottle condition.

As for your elderberry juice, maybe try one of Keller's recipes, scroll down to the elderberry recipes: winemaking: requested recipes (Maraschino-Chocolate Sweet Mead) Regards, GF.

I LOVE my crabapple wine recipe. Well, it's NOT mine. I found it online and added my notes on the changes.

It's really, really, good!

You of course would start with the juice, since the apples are already pressed. Check the Sg and bring it up to 1.095 or so with sugar if needed.

Latest posts

Back