NE IPA style fast sour Gose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlutter

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a hop-less Gose yesterday to do a co-ferment sour with Safale K97 and Swanson's L. plantarum. I am planning to either dry hop or hop tea at the end of fermentation. I know that Gose is traditionally low hop/IBU. My usual recipe calls for just a 0.5 oz Tetananger 60 minute addition (which I skipped).

I'm wondering if could get a nice fruit bomb from a NE-IPA style dry hop instead of the usual low amount of hops.

Has anyone tried something like this and have recommendations? At what point should I add the hops and how long should the stay in the fermenter?

I'm also planning a secondary/late primary addition of either tart cherry or pineapple juice for half of the batch. I'm not sure if that should change when I add the hops. (usual or NE IPA style) TIA

Dry hopping at low pH results in much different hop character than at traditional beer pH.

Makes sense. I haven't been able to find much info on what the effect might be.

Found lots of stuff about the effect of hops on pH but not the other way around.

Milk the Funk referenced this interesting article in BYO. Only a few hops are mentioned though.

https://byo.com/article/hoppy-sour-beers/
I'm thinking about using Amarillo and Mosaic, possibly with the pineapple juice. Was just curious if anyone over here has tried something. I struck out on the FB group I'm in.

Dry hopping at low pH results in much different hop character than at traditional beer pH.
Although that's true, I've had some excellent dry hopped (kettle) sours. The hoppiness really adds something. Burley Oak's Sorry Chicky is one of our favorites.
You want to restrain IBUs. Bitterness doesn't go so well with sours, and Lacto hates it.

You want to restrain IBUs. Bitterness doesn't go so well with sours, and Lacto hates it.

I agree. I've been some bad, overly bitter sours at some local breweries.

Do you think you can overdo bitterness/IBUs in a sour from a single dry hop addition? Trying to decide how much hops to go with.

I’ve heard Jay from Rare Barrel talk about dry hopped sours on the sour hour quite a bit. What might start out as a hop character that’s relatively similar to a standard pH beer can change into something else entirely.

This is why the Rare Barrel and Hudson Valley make hoppy beer and then blend in sour beer before packaging for their “Sour IPA”.

Try it for sure. Just don’t expect the same exact hop character that you’d get from dry hopping a normal pH beer.

I meant to add Lagunitas' Aunt Sally as a nationally distributed hoppy sour.
10-15 IBUs seems to be the norm for those.

Back