NE IPA Dry Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One
I would not read much negative into it. A single report devoid of any specific details should not discourage anyone, but perhaps should raise eyebrows.

One of the details i can provide is that brewer much prefers vermont ale yeast over this one... I was excited to try it to but have lost it after being underwhelmed, perhaps had too high expectation. Btw this is one of the best brewers in europe making neipa this side of the pond, easily top 5.

One

One of the details i can provide is that brewer much prefers vermont ale yeast over this one... I was excited to try it to but have lost it after being underwhelmed, perhaps had too high expectation. Btw this is one of the best brewers in europe making neipa this side of the pond, easily top 5.

So Cloudwater from UK? I know they used both, and their DIPA reiterations are among the best in the world.

So Cloudwater from UK? I know they used both, and their DIPA reiterations are among the best in the world.

No man, though those guys have done colabs with the brewery here.
Tbh the beers ive tried from cloudwater here in spain werent anything spectacular, though most certainly fine specimens. From the uk ive had very good beers from Beavertown.

This is the dry form of Conan, which is half the original mixed culture of Ringwood. It has all the exact characteristics of Conan from esters, to flocculation, to timing, attenuation, etc. It is a hard yeast to use unless you take the time to learn it’s exact ins and outs.

No man, though those guys have done colabs with the brewery here.
Tbh the beers ive tried from cloudwater here in spain werent anything spectacular, though most certainly fine specimens. From the uk ive had very good beers from Beavertown.

Assuming you mean Garage Brewing in Spain? I’ve had a couple of their beers. Decent IPA’s. Cloudwater’s DIPA’s are probably the pinnacle of DIPA’s in the UK, apart from maybe Verdant. Both of which seem to be using this yeast at the moment. In a DIPA it tastes really good, in an IPA it tastes fairly neutral from my experience.

Can’t wait to experiment with it though once it is out.

One of the “founders” of this “style” just said recently he uses 1272 which is the same yeast as BRY-97. So that would be another good option.

Are any USA based LHBS's carrying 11g packs of the new Lallamand LalBrew New England Ale yeast yet?

I could not find any. I cannot find any in Europe either, but I think it's coming in spring/summer, maybe sooner.

B08B85EB-6EA5-440F-AE80-45F961DD9FB2.png

Saw this on Twitter earlier, although this is UK based.

I thought this might happen - a shop in Northern Ireland has got bored of waiting for the "official" 11g packs, so has started breaking up 500g bricks and packaging 25g samples for sale at effectively the 500g price :
https://www.geterbrewed.com/lalbrew-new-england-yeast-11g/ (no affiliation)

As you can see they're anticipating moving to the official 11g packs once they arrive.

Whilst we're on the subject, I've been thinking about the Mangrove Jack's M15 Empire Ale. It's meant to be similar to the old M03 Newcastle Dark Ale - one theory linked it to Lallemand/Danstar Manchester, which has been discontinued so MJ would have had to find another source.

M03 was widely assumed to come from Newcastle Brown Ale, which would link it to Brewlab's F40 which was meant to be a very characterful, estery yeast.

The Manchester connection seems to have led the internet to think it was connected to White Labs WLP038 Manchester which is a British saison yeast, probably POF+ and related to John Smith's. Again that would imply lots of esters.

So if people are getting impatient for a dry yeast for NEIPAs, it might be worth giving M15 a go????

One thing to consider is Kimmich says 1st gen doesn't have the peachy tropical aroma but 2 through 10 do. So when they get to gen 6 the re-order the yeast, from whoever their supplier is be it dried or liquid. Say they are using Nottingham and their supplier is Lallemand who are in on it then this new Vermont product might be gen 1. If they harvested from cans of Heady Topper it same as White Labs then they could have any gen but certainly not 1.

Anybody know if this product is available in the homebrew size/scale yet?

I'd keep checking that Geterbrewed link above, as I'd assume they will switch to official packs of New England once they're available, but it's not looking particularly promising.

Anyway - Conan's old hat now, isn't everyone using 1318 and kveiks? :)

Thanks. It’s looking like there isn’t a US delivery option on that website :( I’ll do some more hunting...

You’re right w/1318 (my fav) and kviek - people are still toying w/ wlp066, wlp644 and S04/T-58/WB06 blends... I’d like to have a few packs of dry Conan on hand rather than US05

I heard that rumor also. Thanks for sighting another great dry option gents!

Thanks. It’s looking like there isn’t a US delivery option on that website :(

You could always ask them directly - I'm sure they could send a couple of packs of yeast. Standard Post Office rate for 100g to the US in 5-7 days is like $3-4.

Talking to a Lallemand guy, he suggested we might be seeing retail packs of New England "in the New Year" but I'll believe it when I see it.

I believe I've asked them the same either Winter of 2017 or early 2018 and said it should be available during the summer. On October 31, 2018 I asked again and they replied " They are still in quality control. Should be able to put them for sale soon. Please keep your eyes open. ".

When I started reading this thread I thought, surely someone will have brewed with this by now!

M15 has been great, it's fruity and no lag which is essential for successful biotransformation haze (malt proteins still in suspension, dry hops, and active fermentation). Only issue is it stalls at 1020 for few days when you may think it has finished.

Lallemand informed me today that we should expect an announcement with regard to the coming availability of 11 gram retail packs for Lalbrew New England dry yeast within a few weeks. I'm hoping this is the Vermont/Conan strain, or right close to it.

Lallemand informed me today that we should expect an announcement with regard to the coming availability of 11 gram retail packs for Lalbrew New England dry yeast within a few weeks. I'm hoping this is the Vermont/Conan strain, or right close to it.

I really hope it turns out to be one of the better dry yeast out there.

Just finished kegging and carbonating a Cashmere/Citra NEIPA with rehydrated US04 fermented at 64 degrees (wort temp, not ambient). Grain to glass in 12 days including 2 days for burst carbonation. Came out excellent. Just as good as any other i've brewed with 1318 or Juice.

TCgs6Rc.jpg

Ive used both S04 and 1318 for my NEIPAs, I find both do an excellent job. I would definitely recommend S04 as a dry yeast for this style.

Well, it's been more than a month, and no word, so I emailed again. Now Lallemand is stating that there is no official release announcement date, but they are still hopeful that it will happen before summer arrives (which happens on June 21st). They mentioned that strong demand from the commercial brewing segment is the holdup. They can't yet produce enough 500 gram packs to supply the growing commercial demand, so there is at this time no surplus of product remaining to be packaged at 11 grams for retail consumption.

FYI at BrewCon Leeds the other day the Lallemand presentation suggested in passing that their aim is to release two new yeasts and one bacterium per year, he talked about another one for NEIPAs - presumably a 1318 London Ale III equivalent??? - and a kveik.

It's almost like they've done some market research (or just talked to people) and realised that they need to offer more choice, in the meantime Andy was really pushing the idea of buying multiple yeasts (wonder why Lallemand want to encourage that?!) and mixing them to improve performance.

Woof. Actually more expensive than a fresh pack of 1318.
That's a premium for presumably more tolerant shelf life I reckon...

Cheers!

So I've used this yeast in a few beers commercially, all IPAs, my thoughts:

No peach - pitching and fermenting anywhere from 62-66 F. This yeast does produce some nondescript fruitiness and banana was detected early in fermentation but dissipated (or was covered up from DH). Lag time was pretty comparable to other dry yeasts. Not a strong flocculator or attenuater.

Pretty boring and expensive yeast.

Really? You guys are complaining about 50 cents? The value of not needing to make a starter isn’t worth that alone?

The reviews of this yeast are not great however..

Blending some So4 with any multitude of dry yeasts would be my route if I was only gonna use dry yeast.

S-33, K-97, BRY-97 all possess the “bio transformation” capabilities and are POF- so you don’t need to worry about getting any phenolics. BE-256 is also POF-, that might be cool. Maybe even US-05 and London ESB blended.

Pot stirred *evil cackle*
Regardless, I’m fired up to try this and will have a pack on-hand to deal with “emergencies”.
I also hear that with liquid versions it’s necessary to cycle a few generations to begin expressing the esters this strain is known for... but that hasn’t been my experience with the giga yeast, where I have had good ester expression and decent attenuation. Gotta watch the temp. I’ve run my temp too low on day 3 and this yeast crashed and didn’t wake up again.
Cheers

Just finished kegging and carbonating a Cashmere/Citra NEIPA with rehydrated US04 fermented at 64 degrees (wort temp, not ambient). Grain to glass in 12 days including 2 days for burst carbonation. Came out excellent. Just as good as any other i've brewed with 1318 or Juice.

TCgs6Rc.jpg

Love the high floculation and quick finish of this yeast. Seems like a good candidate for NEIPA. I've found that strains that don't floc as well actually are not as ideal since they pull the hop oils with them when they drop out.

S-04 can sometimes produce a yeast bite or bready like tang in the finish that I'm not crazy about. Is this characteristic present when loaded up with all those hops?

Love the high floculation and quick finish of this yeast. Seems like a good candidate for NEIPA. I've found that strains that don't floc as well actually are not as ideal since they pull the hop oils with them when they drop out.

S-04 can sometimes produce a yeast bite or bready like tang in the finish that I'm not crazy about. Is this characteristic present when loaded up with all those hops?

I've found that once you give a proper cold crash, and a little time in the keg to condition, the US04 tang does settle out. The first few pints have that yeasty flavor, but the rest of the keg its much more muted.

I started going back to liquid yeasts (A38, 1318, and OYL011) lately just to see what the difference is to my palate since i've been using US04 so much out of convenience. I have a Kitchen Sink NEIPA coming out of the fermenter sometime early next week so i'll let you know then

FWIW, one of the Lallemand UK crew has just tweeted that dry versions of Voss kveik and "helveticus" bacteria (presumably Lactobacillus helveticus best known for cheesemaking) will be arriving "very soon", no word yet on the "London Ale" (presumably 1318) they were talking about a few months ago.

By way of update - Lallemand UK are expecting dry Voss to release by Christmas and the dry "1318" by April or so (although I suspect that represents a bit of slippage, so perhaps they've had a few problems with it). They're also actively looking at other species, but don't expect anything out of that soon....

Whilst we're on the subject of new dry stuff, Fermentis have just released SafSour LP652, a homofermentative Lactobacillus plantarum for kettle souring (to compete with Lallemand's facultative-heterofermentative Sourpitch); LA-01, a Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. chevalieri with 15% attenuation intended for low alcohol beers, and Spring’Blanche, a yeast extract with proteins of a variety of molecular weights, intended to boost haze in wheat beers and NEIPAs.

By way of update - Lallemand UK are expecting dry Voss to release by Christmas and the dry "1318" by April or so

Lallemand seem to have sent out the first production packets of their dry Voss to UK retailers this week, in 11g and 500g packs, pricing at £4.29/11g is a touch above the New England and kolsch strains.

Off-topic, but Imperial seem to have sorted out their certification issues and are now available again in the UK.

Back