Natural keg carbonation, cold crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WDT

Reaction score
Do you guys cold crash the beer before racking to the keg to carbonate naturally? With priming sugar that is.

I've been doing a 2 day crash before racking into my kegs and I also nat carb. Works well for me.

Yes - I'll do a 2-3 day cold crash before racking to a keg for both force carb and natural carb. Are you guys finding that it doesn't take real long to carbonate in a keg compared to bottles? Most of mine seem to be carbed up within a week or so.

AnchorBock said:
Yes - I'll do a 2-3 day cold crash before racking to a keg for both force carb and natural carb. Are you guys finding that it doesn't take real long to carbonate in a keg compared to bottles? Most of mine seem to be carbed up within a week or so.

10 days is good to go for me, never tried less.

I'm using 2oz of corn sugar for my 2.5 gl kegs and so far the carb has been fine between 10-14 days. One thing I don't like about nat carb is the extra sediment, you lose 1-2 glasses at the first couple draws and also a couple at the end can be yeasty as well. With a smaller keg that's a lot of beer.

I've been using 3oz priming sugar for my 5gal kegs, but they are nowhere near ready in 10-14 days. I am using 4+ for my next batch. Hopefully that does it.

I'm using 2oz of corn sugar for my 2.5 gl kegs and so far the carb has been fine between 10-14 days. One thing I don't like about nat carb is the extra sediment, you lose 1-2 glasses at the first couple draws and also a couple at the end can be yeasty as well. With a smaller keg that's a lot of beer.

I agree with losing a glass or two to the sediment. I also use the 2.5 gal kegs. When I put the. In the fridge I lay them on their side (I put them I our regular fridge in the kitchen) with the 'out' pick-up on the bottom just off center. This way the sediment settles center and I getting drinkable beer from the get go. Once the flow rate slows or I get air pockets in the line, I turn he keg a little and get the last glass, I know it's tapped when I hit the sediment.

OP, I apologize for poaching the post. No, I do not cold crash before going to the keg.

Latest posts

Back