Natural Gas Hose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmasterorr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so I am looking at buying a Hurricane burner and running Natural Gas. I don't want to bury any line or make anything permanent. Where I would like to brew is on a cement pad by my shed about 35' from my gas meter and there is a 3/4" plug at the meter I would like to hook up to.

I am looking at 3/4" quick disconnect options w/hose and they are expensive :( I was wondering what you guys have used to make a cost effective connection that can still run to my shed with no loss in performance on the burner and I can disconnect from the meter at the end of a brew day?

Any help is appreciated! Thank you.

later :rockin:
Jeff

Ok so I am looking at buying a Hurricane burner and running Natural Gas. I don't want to bury any line or make anything permanent. Where I would like to brew is on a cement pad by my shed about 35' from my gas meter and there is a 3/4" plug at the meter I would like to hook up to.

I am looking at 3/4" quick disconnect options w/hose and they are expensive :( I was wondering what you guys have used to make a cost effective connection that can still run to my shed with no loss in performance on the burner and I can disconnect from the meter at the end of a brew day?

Any help is appreciated! Thank you.

later :rockin:
Jeff

I think what you are asking for may not be possible. You will need to make compromises. There a good amount of loss over 35'. I think that will be unavoidable unless you find some very large diameter gas line. The largest flexible gas line I have ever seen is 3/4". Maybe someone else has seen larger. I also think that nobody is going to sell you a flexible gas line 35' long. You will have to purchase 3 sections and piece it together with nipples. In your case I think propane would be a good alternative or you would have to bury a natural gas line. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Well I guess I will need to bury a line....I guess I will get to check out the propane capabilities :ban: of the Hurricane burner until I get a chance to bury a line.

For some really pricey solutions http://www.tejassmokers.com/NatGasHoses.htm , they will make you one for $800+

I would think you want to run black pipe close to where you want to be and then connect it with a short length of flex & quick connector. Not sure how safe all this would be and it's for sure not code legal I bet!

You have a world of possibilities if you don't mind the codes.
When you used a Bunsen burner in grade school I bet it was just a latex tube pushed on to a barb fitting..... just saying :)

There are people on here (maybe even myself) that use "utility" hose for their temporary gas needs..... 3/4" reinforced hose does exist

You have a world of possibilities if you don't mind the codes.
When you used a Bunsen burner in grade school I bet it was just a latex tube pushed on to a barb fitting..... just saying :)

There are people on here (maybe even myself) that use "utility" hose for their temporary gas needs..... 3/4" reinforced hose does exist

Thats really dangerous. I don't think I would want to brew bad enough to use a garden hose as my natural gas line.

I've looked at the flexible natty gas lines and just couldn't justify the $15/foot (might be exaggerated). They are basically a hose that's been reinforced with kevlar/other expensive fibrous material and covered with multiple protective shells.

If you can remind yourself to not drive a forklift over your temporary line you should be ok. Natty gas isn't exactly propane, at 1/2psi it is a lot easier to deal with.
I think bobby_m is the only person to actually confess that he uses rubber hose and not the bling unobtainium lines.

Off topic:
Nice avatar sawdustguy! Duck season just opened up last week down here.... Of course we have to drive 1.5 hours to get near any water source, but then again that always guarantees that you'll at least see flocks of pintails/canvasbacks/mallards/widgeons

If you can remind yourself to not drive a forklift over your temporary line you should be ok.

Funny stuff!

Natty gas isn't exactly propane, at 1/2psi it is a lot easier to deal with.
I think bobby_m is the only person to actually confess that he uses rubber hose and not the bling unobtainium lines.

There are quite a few people around here that do it but many of them don't like to talk about it because of being scolded or liability reasons. It is true though that I used a bunsen burner with a crappy dry rotted hose and no clamps for about 4 years in school. Yeah the "official" NG hoses have amazing price tags.

Nice avatar sawdustguy! Duck season just opened up last week down here.... Of course we have to drive 1.5 hours to get near any water source, but then again that always guarantees that you'll at least see flocks of pintails/canvasbacks/mallards/widgeons

Thank you very much. I am glad you like it. It's shame your not closer, my Black Labrador Jack (the one pictured in the avatar) loves to go duck hunting. I would loan him to you for a couple days (I wish I could get the time off).

Sometimes I feel like a sucker for blowing $70 on my 1/2" QD hose... The gas as at 5psi, and is only used for a few hours and is supervised the whole time. The commercial hoses have to be over-engineered just because it's for the public.

Well I am not afraid of using a hose for the Natural gas . . . .I installed my water heater and gas stove . . .I just dont want to bury a line so I am going to see what is at my local hardware shop but I am thinking that I will be using a rubber hose :rockin:

Well I am not afraid of using a hose for the Natural gas . . . .I installed my water heater and gas stove . . .I just dont want to bury a line so I am going to see what is at my local hardware shop but I am thinking that I will be using a rubber hose :rockin:

This is just a forum and there are no natural gas police here, so no one can stop you from doing anything you have your heart set on. With that said, I would be afraid that my insurance wouldn't cover, if God forbid, an accident happened.

I use a rather beefy reinforced rubber hose for my nat gas connection but I'm hesitant to suggest using it just strewn out in the open where it could sustain some physical damage. Mine runs along the wall of my garage on the floor and no one can even step on it. The hardline it connects to obviously has a shutoff valve and the gas doesn't stay pressurized when I'm not using it. No, it's not even 5psi. It's more like 1/4 psi.

Check out the direct burial rated PE tubing PE-16-125 from gastite.com.

Latest posts

Back