Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The landscaping and the architecture of the modern houses at top right make it look like somewhere in the UK. Zooming in on the houses in the middle, the bay windows on the terraced housing are very English. Possibly a university or a military college? Could also be an old industrial building converted to flats, judging by the skylights.

Yep, you're getting pretty warm with all that. Here's another pic from the other side. There is a topical musical connection for me choosing this particular building but it's so obscure that it probably doesn't help you to know that's why I picked it...
1661159730390.png

Well the van is from an lift company (elevator service company) based in Enfield, so I'm guessing this is somewhere in Norf Landin, but I haven't figured it out yet...

Good spot. Yep, it's in north London. Yep, it's a building that's been converted to flats from a previous use.

You were in the right area with your previous thoughts - in its previous existence it wasn't operated by the military, but it did make a notable contribution to the war effort in WWII.

Well now you're getting very close, although Turing didn't have much to do with this side of things so according to the Imitation Game it never happened...

There's not much I can do by way of further clues, North London with links to WWII codebreaking is pretty much a unique combination.

The indirect musical link to another aspect of what happened there is that it would have been Joe Strummer's 70th birthday on the day that I posted it, but I'm not sure that helps too much - think song titles.

I knew I knew it... there's an underground bunker there built in WWII that was slated to be used as alternate offices for the Cabinet. I saw it on Underground Britain.

Dollis Hill, Former Post Office Research Station, now Chartwell Court flats
Exactly - the Post Office Research Station was the British equivalent of Bell Labs and was based here in the otherwise unremarkable suburb of Dollis Hill from 1921 until it moved out of town to Martlesham Heath 50 eyars ago where it's now the British Telecom labs. This PhD thesis goes into more detail of the history :
https://www.research.manchester.ac.uk/portal/files/205624795/FULL_TEXT.PDF
It's most famous for Tommy Flowers creating Colossus, arguably the world's first programmable computer used for breaking codes, in particular the Lorenz/"Tunny" code. It sounds like boffins on both sides of the Atlantic had struggled to automate codebreaking, and it took someone with deep practical knowledge of phone exchange hardware to make the breakthrough. The road from which the second photo was taken is now known as Flowers Close.

Dollis Hill also saw the development of the wireless technology that allowed the first transatlantic phone call on 7 January 1927 at $25/minute, the equivalent of $425/minute adjusted for inflation. Which enabled London calling the US, something you might want to do on Joe Strummer's birthday.

Honourable mention to duncan.brown for getting so close, but @InspectorJon, you're up.

Last edited:
Trees feel somewhat tropical.

That numberplate format is fairly rare, I've not looked exhaustively but it's certainly used in Macedonia and Indonesia, so I'll say Jakarta?

And Wikipedia suggests that within Indonesia DD is the region code for
"South Sulawesi, South region: Makassar, Gowa, Maros, Pangkajene Islands, Takalar, Jeneponto, Bulukumba, Bantaeng, Selayar"

On the basis that Makassar is the only one I've heard of, some rummaging there leads to :

Pinisi Tower, Makassar State University

Hopefully this one should be a bit less obscure than my last one, if not then I have another angle that is rather better known.

1661947091824.png

It is indeed Vincennes, the day I posted it was the 600th anniversary of Henry V of England dying there, a few years after Agincourt.

I must admit I prefer the to and fro of guessing rather than text-based image searches from the off but meh, cmac62 got it, you're up.

It is indeed Vincennes, the day I posted it was the 600th anniversary of Henry V of England dying there, a few years after Agincourt.

I must admit I prefer the to and fro of guessing rather than text-based image searches from the off but meh, cmac62 got it, you're up.
I hear ya NB. My first guess would have been Europe. :mug:

Here's mine:

1662479531081.jpeg

wasn't there just a volcano in the philipines or something? i heard it caused weird weather or something in california?

edit: it was the Taal volcano....i think?

Last edited:
Back