Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hillsborough Stadium, Sheffield
But we need the story on you ties to it.

I grew up in Sheffield and could see the stadium from my bedroom window (house isn’t quite in this photo) so have always been a fan - played a big part in my life growing up and still. Went to see the Queen open the kop roof, remember the horror of the disaster, seen it under feet of water when the river broke its banks and my Dad work for Wednesday as the kitman for a time when they were in the Premier league. We’re a bit far removed from there now, but have still seen some great times there.

And it was a venue in Euro 96! Look at this beauty

You’re up!

Last edited:
I didn't get it from the betting company ad. I used the Topps Tile store. :p
Anyway, this isn't a football stadium, but it fits the sports venue theme. Yes, I wrote "Text" over the sign that included the town name. This was from a 1988 trip.
1988:1.png

Last edited:
Quick question RoyalGallon, a part-time foreign football fan who only watches the World Cup would like to understand the history of the Wednesday in Sheffield Wednesday FC.
Happy to talk about Wednesday :)

They were formed in 1867 by Steel and factory workers who used to get Wednesday afternoon off to play cricket. No cricket in winter so they decided to try their hand at football and so The Wednesday were born - later changed to Sheffield Wednesday.

They played at Owlerton (pronounced Oller-ton) and so are known as the Owls.

I didn't get it from the betting company ad. I used the Topps Tile store. :p
Anyway, this isn't a football stadium, but it fits the sports venue theme. Yes, I wrote "Text" over the sign that included the town name. This was from a 1988 trip.

??Topps is pretty common, they're a big national chain.

A racecourse with a viaduct makes me think of the Roodee in Chester, although my memory gets a bit hazy as it must be a place where my blood-alcohol levels must be close to their all-time highs based on time-weighted average!!!!

??Topps is pretty common, they're a big national chain.

Yeah, but it worked.
And your memory, hazy though it may be, is correct with Chester Racecourse (Roodee), Chester, England.
It was on this 1988 trip that I fell in love with British pub bitters, probably the reason I home brew to this day.
You're up @Northern_Brewer.

Last edited:
The Roodee's main claim to fame is that it claims to have been in continuous operation since 1539, making it the world's oldest racecourse by that definition. There's been quite a bit of development since you were there, including the stands where Cheshire CAMRA host their main beer festival.

"The site was once a harbour during the Roman settlement of the city during the Dark Ages, but was closed as the river silted up thus making navigation impossible. Towards the centre of the in field is a raised mound which is decorated by a small cross known as a "rood". It is from this that the race course derives the name "Roodee"; Roodee is a corruption of "Rood Eye", meaning "The Island of the Cross".

According to legend the cross marks the burial site of a statue of the Virgin Mary sentenced to hang after causing the death of Lady Trawst, the wife of the Governor of Hawarden. The legend states that she had gone to church to pray for rain but when her prayers were answered by a tremendous thunderstorm the statue was loosened and fell, killing her. As a holy object, hanging or burning the statue would be sacrilege so the statue was left by the banks of the river and the tide carried it down to Chester. The statue was found guilty by a jury of 12 men. If the legend is true, then this is the first recorded case of a jury being used in a court.
"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester_Racecourse
Anyway, I could have done another solstice-related one today, but I thought I'd go for something a bit more obscure :

1624272799296.png

Last edited:
The Roodee's main claim to fame is that it claims to have been in continuous operation since 1539, making it the world's oldest racecourse by that definition.

According to legend the cross marks the burial site of a statue of the Virgin Mary

This is why I took the picture. The rood is just the stump of the cross. It's in the picture just to the left if the center white banister post. For decades my wife and I couldn't recall what that thing in the middle of the field was, only that it was the reason I took the picture. Your answer to the picture post allowed me to discover the answer. :ban:

I'm drinking "Summer Ale" this afternoon, happy solstice to you.

Last edited:
Yep - although I thought that might take a little longer than that! Southampton is not one of those places that is particularly well known for its fortifications but there's quite a lot left of them, although over time the main line of defence got moved out into the Solent. It's topical because the World Championship final of Test cricket is being played there at the moment, the format of international cricket where one match is played over 5 days.

It's a slightly contrived thing that's intended to make countries take Test cricket a bit more seriously and give a framework for matches that were being played anyway, but the nature of Test cricket is that it takes 3 years to play the series that decide who are the top 2 in world cricket. They were meant to play a showpiece deciding game at the world headquarters of cricket in London, but it got moved to the relatively "junior" ground at Southampton because it has a hotel onsite which makes it easier to Covid-bubble. And after weeks of glorious weather, they've lost two days to rain. Which is a real shame, as what cricket they've played has been cracking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–2021_ICC_World_Test_Championship
@D.B.Moody, you're up.

Kirkwood :p, South Africa, home of the Kirkwood Wildlife Festival "Wildsfees." Apparently it has nothing to do with CAMRA, and refers to a totally different type of wild life.

Kirkwood :p, South Africa, home of the Kirkwood Wildlife Festival "Wildsfees." Apparently it has nothing to do with CAMRA, and refers to a totally different type of wild life.

That is most correct. Quite the party when it can happen again.

Been meaning to post it for a while now, just never got a victory. You're up again DB

Stratford-upon-Avon it is. You're up @DuncB.
Edit: BTW, Shakespeare's birth place is the third picture and Anne Hathaway's was the second. I don't remember if the first picture is a real famous house; I think I just liked it.

Last edited:
Yep. My son is that age and headed to school this August.

My sympathies to your wallet; my congratulations to your son. :)
Actually I've posted pictures from college visit cities on this site, but they were from 1989! Eighteen years and some months before that we took a trip. Here's a picture from 1970:

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Back