Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be very surprised if that's Norway, looks more continental europe... maybe Poland or something? Warzaw?

Edit... no I regret that, I see signs in english...

There it is! @duncan.brown is the winner!

I must confess that based on @Northern_Brewer's avatar I looked up "Wye, UK" on Google and found a nice looking picture, which turned out to be Ross-on-Wye. It was only after I'd posted and people started guessing that I took a second look at the avatar, looked up the Kent Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, which turns out to be on the other side of the island from Ross-on-Wye. Oops.

As an aside, and speaking as an American, "Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty" is a much better term than "National Park."

Heh, I appreciate the attempted long-hop but to be fair most British people would associate "Wye" with the river and not the village. Funny how personal experience affects things though, you had me a bit fooled saying it was in England. I think of the Wye as a Welsh river because one of my dad's first jobs was in the depths of Wales and his boss had some fishing rights on the Wye which he would only use at weekends, and he would let my dad fish there during the week, so I grew up firmly associating all my dad's tales of fishing the Wye with his time working in Wales. Also I know the Severn where it forms the Welsh border, I hadn't realised the border goes quite so far from the Severn down there.

After my last post I realised that maybe there was a beer connection, as the Vale of Evesham is the "other" main hop-growing area in the UK along with Kent so I started thinking maybe Pershore or somewhere.

The significance of Wye-the-village is that less than a mile from the signpost in my avatar is the field that is the home of modern hop breeding - supposedly around 50-60% of all the hop acreage worldwide can trace some of its ancestry through that one field. In particular almost all bittering hops have some Wye genetics, through varieties like Brewer's Gold and yes, Northern Brewer. And all the British hops bar Goldings and Fuggle came from the Wye breeding programme - and even Early Bird, one of the main Goldings clones, was found on the far side of the village (and Eastwell, as in Eastwell Golding, is about 2 miles further on).

We have National Parks as well, AONBs are the junior version which are less protected, but still the kind of place that people in London want to have their weekend place in.... If you look at Google Maps, it shows the National Parks and AONBs quite well, a lot of the London green belt is made up of AONBs.

As for the current one - that dome looks like St Paul's cathedral in London, and if that white building is the building over the end of Cannon St station then we're looking towards St Paul's from the northeast, Whitechapel or Mile End Road kind of area.

But there would surely be more skyscrapers visible? Unless it's a photo from a fairly small window in the 1990s, after Cannon St got the white building but before the likes of the Gherkin got built?

This may be more "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" than "Name That Skyline".

Attachments

• 20201018_163035.jpg
    20201018_163035.jpg
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 35
Looks like a telescope observatory, which presumably has been retired now that the carpark ?for a newer telescope? has been built above it.

So somewhere that's been looking at space for a long time - Mt Palomar?

Doesn't that sign on the building on the left say Sokos? I know that's a Finnish chain of stores... and given your location, Savonlinna, I think somewhere in Finland is correct. But where in Finland... not Helsinki that's for sure, and not Åbo/Turku either. I'm just going to pick a city... Tammerfors/Tampere.

Right, I think we're looking at the Christmas market in Kuopio, with the city hall in the background. Took me a while to google that.

Back