Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bingo. Chicago World's Fair. There is a great true story about that World's Fair and a Serial Killer called The Devil and the White City if anyone is interested. 3 Dawg, you're up.
I've been told that's a fantastic book; I'll have to add it to my to-read pile!

Breaking out of the historical trend (because I couldn't think of a good one):

skyline5.jpg

The for ground is wrong but my first thought was St. Laurence Cathredral in New Orleans. Looks European with the slate roofs.

Looks like St Patrick's Cathedral in New York (Attended an Easter service there about 5 years ago) but the foreground buildings look more like somewhere in Northern Europe.

Been googling holland, hydroplant, reservoir, pump station, water treatment etc.... last photo seems to be a museeum, De Cruquius. That seems to be the city name too, Cruquius.

Today at 5:26 PM
Looking through pictures of suspension bridges, I think that's the Oresund Bridge between Sweden and Denmark.

Could I gently suggest that "Looking through pictures" within 20 minutes of something being posted feels a bit against the spirit of this game? Fair enough if nobody's got it within 24 hours or 48 hours or something, but not that quickly.

Particularly when it's such a famous bridge that is the "star" of a major TV series.

Not that I'm sore that I recognised it immediately - admittedly it helps that the BBC has been rerunning the show these last few weeks... :D

Could I gently suggest that "Looking through pictures" within 20 minutes of something being posted feels a bit against the spirit of this game? Fair enough if nobody's got it within 24 hours or 48 hours or something, but not that quickly.

Particularly when it's such a famous bridge that is the "star" of a major TV series.

Not that I'm sore that I recognised it immediately - admittedly it helps that the BBC has been rerunning the show these last few weeks... :D
I guess you're right. I should have given a chance for people to recognize it by sight first. My bad.

Why don't you go ahead and take this one? I'll pull mine down and save it for next time!

Nono, it's fine, you can put it back, I'm not that sore!

And right now I'm in the middle of a bit of a work crisis, I only flicked over to HBT whilst I was waiting for something, I really shouldn't be here.... ;)

Nono, it's fine, you can put it back, I'm not that sore!

And right now I'm in the middle of a bit of a work crisis, I only flicked over to HBT whilst I was waiting for something, I really shouldn't be here.... ;)
Oh, sure. I'm just "flicking over" while I'm "waiting for something" too! :p

I think what you proposed is more in keeping with the spirit of the game, so I'm not sore about it either. Although, I nearly named it the " @Northern_Brewer Rule" instead of the "Bron/Broen Rule."

So, in the interest of helping out @Northern_Brewer while he's dealing with his work crisis, I submit this one on his behalf:

skyline5.1.jpg

Heh, no Burton is far more industrial than that.

The church looks very English, but could be the other side of the Channel maybe.

Hard to tell the stone under the grime - but it's certainly not Cotswold limestone or red sandstone which knocks out a lot of south-central England.

Lushness of the grass also supports it being somewhere like the UK in climate terms, probably on the west which is the rainy side. Maybe Ireland? Don't know it well, and I'd have thought the Shannon is the only river of that size??

In general the British don't much go in for painting houses bright colours, except for the really touristy fishing villages in Cornwall and such. Obviously it's not a fishing village, so again that maybe puts it across the Channel.

There's not many rivers in the UK that are that big whilst still being near hills like that, it knocks out most of SE England for instance, and I suspect the same would be true of eg Normandy. Maybe going into the Ardennes, like the Meuse, but all the towns round there are heavily fortified and/or were flattened in WWI/II and this looks somewhere away from the front lines. And the hills/vegetation just don't quite feel right for Flanders.

So - I'm feeling it's one of the bits of the UK I don't know well or maybe Ireland - more likely west than east, pretty sure not the Thames, probably touristy/arty - but eg it's the wrong hills/river for Glastonbury.

Last edited:
@Northern_Brewer, you're painting all around it! Let's take it bit by bit:

1) Yes, the church is in England.
2) Yes, it's the rainy west side of England.
3) It's not Ireland.
4) It's not Cornwall (and not a fishing village).
5) It's not SE England.
6) It's not the Thames.
7) It's not Glastonbury.

If nobody gets it today, I have a HUGE hint to give.

Well it doesn't feel like Devon or Cornwall, it's more middle England than that.

As a northerner, I just can't imagine northerners would be daft enough to paint their houses pink. So my guess is it's south of the Mersey.

Which suggests it's either the Severn or Dee watersheds - maybe the head of the Trent but I don't think so.

There's not many towns actually on the Dee - it's definitely not Chester - and for historical reasons they tend to be fortified. Could be somewhere like Chirk or Bangor, but again they don't feel like places that would paint houses pink. And then the Dee goes pretty quickly into Wales.

Which leaves the Severn - but that goes through a lot of red sandstone territory, certainly up by Shrewsbury, and it gets too big down towards Bristol.

I don't know the bit in between - Gloucester and Worcester would be too big, so it could be somewhere like Evesham, but that's best known for "Vale of...", which doesn't exactly suggest hills.

But that middle bit of the Severn somewhere would be my guess.

1) It's not Devon or Cornwall.
2) It is south of the Mersey.
3) The river in question DOES meet up with the Severn (but it's not the Severn or the Dee)
4) Bristol is not too far off.
5) Gloucester is even closer.
6) Worcester is moving in the wrong direction again.
7) So is Eversham.
8) Hint: Check out @Northern_Brewer's avatar (for name only; not location).

There it is! @duncan.brown is the winner!

I must confess that based on @Northern_Brewer's avatar I looked up "Wye, UK" on Google and found a nice looking picture, which turned out to be Ross-on-Wye. It was only after I'd posted and people started guessing that I took a second look at the avatar, looked up the Kent Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, which turns out to be on the other side of the island from Ross-on-Wye. Oops.

As an aside, and speaking as an American, "Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty" is a much better term than "National Park."

Back