Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea, trying to figure out what the blue sign on the building close to the wing says, but no luck.

edit.... seems like my browser didn't reload the page properly so I missed it was solved.

Sorry, I forgot about my promise to post this last night.

This is not technically a skyline, but I think enough people have seen this view that someone should be able to get it.

skyline3.jpg

Portofino - although it looks like only the cheap yachts were in town that day, it can't have been during the season....

It is indeed the Bass New Brewery in Burton, the 1864 extension across the road from the main site (behind the photographer) - it's got rather more of the original buildings left than the main site. The former Bass tap, the legendary Coopers Tavern that would be in many people's Top 5 British Pubs, is just out of sight on the right of this photo, across the street from the main entrance to this site. The current owners Coors stopped brewing there at the end of 2017 and during lockdown officially announced that they'd be selling the site for redevelopment, they've been doing a lot of juggling round lately sending some of the big tanks from Burton up to Tadcaster so I don't know how many are left. I believe they're around 100,000 US gallons each if anyone is looking for an upgrade....

It's a very British thing to insist that they can't knock down the old Victorian buildings, but it's OK to take the roofs off and put tanks in them! But having grown up not a million miles from Burton, that kind of Victorian red brick definitely feels like home, a lot of public buildings like council buildings, schools and libraries were built in similar style.

@duncan.brown is up!

I grew up in Nottingham and visited the Bass brewery in the early 90's on a school field trip. I recall seeing tons of spent yeast flowing into a skip and asking the guide where it was going. "Marmite!"

OK, here's a city I (used to) travel to regularly.

j1nnuovbrhk21.jpg

I grew up in Nottingham and visited the Bass brewery in the early 90's on a school field trip.

I went to the wrong school! A rope factory was as exciting as ours ever got.

Your pic feels familiar - and certainly looks German.

All that wood looks "new" in an old style, so somewhere that did not avoid the attention of the RAF in WWII? That doesn't cut it down much...

Somewhere like Magdeburg?

The clock tower / steeple in the background is it the Market Church in Hannover, Germany?
- Thought it looked familiar from a trip taken as a chaperone with a bunch of high school kids in 2004 - (Looked it up on Wikipedia and pretty sure that's it.)

The clock tower / steeple in the background is it the Market Church in Hannover, Germany?
- Thought it looked familiar from a trip taken as a chaperone with a bunch of high school kids in 2004 - (Looked it up on Wikipedia and pretty sure that's it.)

I believe I found a shot from the same place as posted.
images
In a search for the Market Church in Hannover.

@CKuhns has got it, it's a view down Kramerstraße from Holzmarkt taken towards the Marktkirche. You're up.

All that wood looks "new" in an old style, so somewhere that did not avoid the attention of the RAF in WWII?

Indeed. A trip to Hannover was my first visit to Germany. I recall thinking that the mix of old buildings and 50s and 60s architecture looked strangely familiar... It's a greatly underrated city to visit. I always have a lot of fun there.

Time for a hint...

This city was home to one of the most celebrated Tejano music artists of all-time.

Back