Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The surrounding vegetation looks very lush by the standards of Mediterranean vineyards, so I'm guessing it's further north. I might be tempted to say Alsace but the flag doesn't look very French, so maybe we're in the Rhine?

Strahlenburg castle ruins in Schriesheim, north of Heidelberg
How did you come up with that?

Short update for me, originally it was called "name the skyline" - so landmarks as well as skylines (not just city skylines) are okay?

Last edited:
Strahlenburg castle ruins in Schriesheim, north of Heidelberg
How did you come up with that?

Short update for me, originally it was called "name the skyline" - so landmarks as well as skylines (not just city skylines) are okay?
That’s it! flip ster, your up wether you’re ready or not!

1711400314464.png

Name the representative, official building in the picture, and (of course) where is it?
Took that photo while I was there during a vacation from a vacation ... seven years ago.

Last edited:
The game has drifted a lot. Weather or not that’s a good thing is debatable. Seems to be a Google Map search game now.
I guess it depends? If we're looking for small towns in Germany, and it's 1 in 100, knowing a guess is 50 miles away and then consulting a map seems to be not so bad. We'd never get anywhere otherwise. Or we'd have to stick with "New York City" for the hundredth time. Seems like it's kind of an honor system. Searching for the images is cheating for sure. Using a map to find rivers or towns = OK, no?

One guess per day and when you cut and paste from the search engine at least fix the formatting so it’s not so obvious?
I never cut and paste from a search engine, when I feel the need to use one.
I try and rely on places I’ve actually visited and taken photos

The majority of the pictures I post are places I have visited in the UK. However when I am trying to find some vineyard in southern Germany I use the internet as I don’t know anything about the wine regions of Germany.

Seems like it's kind of an honor system. Searching for the images is cheating for sure. Using a map to find rivers or towns = OK, no?
I think we have to remember that this is about having fun, so broadly behave in ways that maximise the fun - for everyone. For me the real fun is in extracting information from the photo in the form of what side of the road people drive etc, whereas slogging through maps is not very interesting. Given the fact we're all in different time zones, go easy on Google for the first 48 hours or so, but be more aggressive with it if it's clearly going nowhere after a few days. And if one has "won" quite a bit lately, maybe have the self-awareness to consider that you might be being a bit too aggressive and let someone else have a go?

But "whatever maximises everyone's fun" is a pretty good rule of thumb.

As for the current one - obviously we're in the tropics, but that lawn suggests a strong British colonial influence. We must be somewhere in the Commonwealth, maybe a former officers' club or something?

I think we have to remember that this is about having fun, so broadly behave in ways that maximise the fun - for everyone. For me the real fun is in extracting information from the photo in the form of what side of the road people drive etc, whereas slogging through maps is not very interesting. Given the fact we're all in different time zones, go easy on Google for the first 48 hours or so, but be more aggressive with it if it's clearly going nowhere after a few days. And if one has "won" quite a bit lately, maybe have the self-awareness to consider that you might be being a bit too aggressive and let someone else have a go?

But "whatever maximises everyone's fun" is a pretty good rule of thumb.
That's a good conclusion to my (what I thought) simple question. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this.

An that gives me an idea, how to deal with the answers.. so... primary I'll confirm, what's correct, and before it gets stuck, I'll comment on what's wrong, or add hints in general.

Royal Selangor Club, Kuala Lampur
That's not correct, but "not even near" is a matter of perspective...

As for the current one - obviously we're in the tropics, but that lawn suggests a strong British colonial influence. We must be somewhere in the Commonwealth, maybe a former officers' club or something?
We are in the tropics, it has some British influence, and the country is member of the Commonwealth

OK, that suggests we're heading southeast out towards the Pacific.

Papua New Guinea?

India... would be in the wrong direction...

Fiji?

This got you both to the correct hemisphere and Fiji is one of their neighbours.
That it should not be about country guessing, I'll reduce them: it's one of the neighbours also playing in the Rugby Union Pacific Nations Cup.
Remember: it's an official, representative building.

Tongan Royal Palace
And we have a winner!

Tonga wasn't really on my map, while travelling New Zealand, but then I had the very spontanious opportunity to visit this islandish paradise and have a "few days off" on the beach in a hammock, with some good books and a cold beer in the evening. Never thought that I would this state.

Back