Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here you go, rather topical.

ob7lwflxknmuxkccfnzv.jpg

Travel distance since Darwin has to rendezvous with the southern railway line before turning towards Western Austrailia, maybe. But crow-flies, 1700 miles to Darwin and 2250 miles to Brisbane according to Google Earth's ruler. My pic to follow shortly.
My bad. I thought Darwin was on the other ear.
scoobydoo.jpeg

Damn, I missed that
I'll take that as a yes then. :)

So we're somewhere snowy in Canada, which doesn't cut it down too much but it looks pretty Arctic. Which means that either it's a military base, a mining camp or a scientific research station.

Squinting at the flag, it looks like there's three things sticking out above it - which is reminiscent of the way the Canucks like to remind everyone of the 3-in-1 unification of their military, like here :
1678828077413.png

So Canadian military base, somewhere up north? Can't be too many of those.

I'll take that as a yes then. :)

So we're somewhere snowy in Canada, which doesn't cut it down too much but it looks pretty Arctic. Which means that either it's a military base, a mining camp or a scientific research station.

Squinting at the flag, it looks like there's three things sticking out above it - which is reminiscent of the way the Canucks like to remind everyone of the 3-in-1 unification of their military, like here :
View attachment 815053

So Canadian military base, somewhere up north? Can't be too many of those.
You're getting warmer, but I don't think this location is...

Looking at the Wiki list of Canadian bases, the only properly northern ones are Nanisivik, a naval base on Baffin Island, and CFS Alert, a joint signals base way up at 82°N in Nunavut. Its Wiki page just shows some sheds which could be the same as your pic, but the flags look like they could be the same?
1678912230356.png

So in my usual way, obscurely topical - or at least the town on the distant skyline is. Not that it will help you much....
1679060010736.png

Last edited:
Of course, being Paddy's Day - but there's a way more obscure topical connection which I wouldn't expect anyone to get.

So yes it's Ireland - but where in Ireland?

Castleroche near Dundalk
It is indeed, commissioned in 1236 by Roesia de Verdun whose family also owned the land that became Alton Towers, the biggest theme park in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Roche
The obscure topical connection is that Dundalk is the hometown of the Corrs, and not only was Friday St Patrick's Day but it was also the 50th birthday of Caroline Corr (the drummer). The Corrs are all about 50 - I feel old.

@Brewsmith - you're up.

It is indeed, commissioned in 1236 by Roesia de Verdun whose family also owned the land that became Alton Towers, the biggest theme park in the UK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Roche
The obscure topical connection is that Dundalk is the hometown of the Corrs, and not only was Friday St Patrick's Day but it was also the 50th birthday of Caroline Corr (the drummer). The Corrs are all about 50 - I feel old.

@Brewsmith - you're up.
The castle in the link and the one you posted do not look the same. The one in the link has way more structure remaining. I was looking for basically 4 walls yesterday. :confused:

I guess the round towers are on the other side of the structure that does remain. :mug:

Church looks obviously colonial, looks like some palm trees on the right and general feel of the vegetation is tropical so let's rule out Argentina and southern parts of Chile, and northern Chile is probably too dry to have big fountains like that?

Somehow doesn't feel like Mexico, bit too orderly.

So tropical South America then. Let's kick off with Colombia?

Back