Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going with the flowing liquid theme, but a little different. LOL :mug:

1686685820942.jpeg

General vibe is upmarket British gastropub, probably Home Counties. Red brick suggests maybe the Oxford side of London? Building feels a bit of a hodge-podge, general vibe is late 19th or early 20th century - sash windows kind of died out after WWI. There's too much of it above ground level, the shape is all wrong for a straight pub so has rooms above?

@D.B.Moody that was fairly easy I guess.
Only because @Northern_Brewer told us what to look for. The Google I answered with was not what I did two days ago. I first Googled "London pub beer garden" and that actually got me to the picture you posted. When I clicked on that image, It headed a list of the 15 best pubs with beer gardens in London, so I knew the answer was the Duke of York. I figured someone would answer, but no one had by this afternoon so just for fun I Googled just what was suggested: "London gastro pub", though I didn't mean to make gastropub two words. That did not verify what the beer garden looks like, but I just had to answer with it.

This is from 1991.
1991.png

Only because @Northern_Brewer told us what to look for. The Google I answered with was not what I did two days ago. I first Googled "London pub beer garden" and that actually got me to the picture you posted. When I clicked on that image, It headed a list of the 15 best pubs with beer gardens in London, so I knew the answer was the Duke of York. I figured someone would answer, but no one had by this afternoon so just for fun I Googled just what was suggested: "London gastro pub", though I didn't mean to make gastropub two words. That did not verify what the beer garden looks like, but I just had to answer with it.

This is from 1991.
View attachment 822548
Plymouth (Notch), Vermont. Birthplace of Calvin Coolidge.

I was in New Hampshire before The Old Man In The Mountain collapsed in 2003 and was there again shortly after it did. I was reminded of this while looking at that balanced boulder. So I wound up Googling "collapsed balanced boulder South Africa" after @bruce_the_loon's last clue. Here's what I got some distance down from the top
collapsed.png

Googling "Mukurob" confirmed that this WAS once (collapsed in 1988) a balanced boulder called Mukurob (The Finger of God) in what is now Namibia but was then part of South Africa. To an old British Empire stamp collector like me, this was the Old German East Africa that became Southwest Africa, part of the Union of South Africa.

Last edited:
I was in New Hampshire before The Old Man In The Mountain collapsed in 2003 and was there again shortly after it did. I was reminded of this while looking at that balanced boulder. So I wound up Googling "collapsed balanced boulder South Africa" after @bruce_the_loon's last clue. Here's what I got some distance down from the top
View attachment 822967
Googling "Mukurob" confirmed that this WAS once (collapsed in 1988) a balanced boulder called Mukurob (The Finger of God) in what is now Namibia but was then part of South Africa. To an old British Empire stamp collector like me, this was the Old German East Africa that became Southwest Africa, part of the Union of South Africa.
DB has it right. I'd originally confused the timeline of the Old Man in the Mountain with Mukurob and was surprised it was so far back. I remember it making all the newspapers in South Africa as it was a spectacular natural monument.

You're up DB.

That's the Boston Athenaeum viewed from the Granary Bur[ying] Grounds.

The 'rock', both of them [and more, many much more notable], are still there. At least as of December 2019.

Last edited:
Back