My results with Roeselare blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaldApe

Reaction score
My Flanders Brown (first version) is now 18 months old, which is what they say it takes for the full character to develop. Thought I'd provide some comments.

My grain bill for a 5 gallon batch was
12 lb. Marris Otter malt
2 lb Crystal Malt 40L
1 lb Munich malt
1 lb Aromatic Malt
0.5 lb Special B
0.5 oz roasted barley.

I used 1.25 oz EKG hops (A.A. 7.2%) for 60 minutes

Initially I pitched an Abbey yeast on the recommendation of a friend, then added the Roeselare blend in secondary.

I let it stay in the carboy for several months. My plan was to bottle, but I decided to keg it.

Samples in the first few months were wonderful. I was convinced I had a winner. But by the time it was "ready" it had gotten thin and lifeless. For the record, I like the subdued sourness, unlike some others.

I have another batch that's almost a year old now which I just pitched the Roeselare blend in primary, and it's beginning to get thin as well.

But what I discovered is that if I blend it with an Old Ale I brewed this summer, it's really good. I understand Rodenbach blends theirs at bottling time and pasteurizes. Maybe that's the way to go for me too.

Back