My mostly automated brucontrol setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buying one of those was probably the best purchases I've made in my brewing journey. I've never used anything easier, faster, more accurate. Plus it doesn't waste a ton of liquid per sample.

How often would these meters need to be calibrated, and is it with a test buffer? Another nice feature is the multi units one can measure with it.

Last edited:
How often would these meters need to be calibrated, and is it with a test buffer? Another nice feature is the multi units one can measure with it.
I am unsure how often they must be calibrated. I calibrate every once in a while when I remember that it's been a while. I've yet to see it read incorrectly.

To calibrate you just put distilled water through it and tell the app to calibrate.

I love that it can measure starting gravity, and final gravity.

Remote brew session today.. so far so good.

dIbPoe6.png

Sweet! Did you add your grain before you started? I don't remember seeing you having a "grain adder".

That is awesome. Your my Brew hero lol. So is your strike water via your rims setup? How do you handle dough balls?

Man I'd just be happy with a start timer to heat my strike water in the morning so I can walk out. Dough in. Go eat breakfast lol. Your build is really impressive and I just want to say thanks for all the videos showing how you script everything. Hopefully I can get some time this weekend to start piecing my control together. (I am currently in a house remodel project and my wife would probably kill me if I didn't make any progress on it this weekend)

The new "LED displays" - are you using fonts that looks like LED? They look very good and I've been searching for something like this for a while. So if you can share where you got em - I'll be a happy camper :)

The new "LED displays" - are you using fonts that looks like LED? They look very good and I've been searching for something like this for a while. So if you can share where you got em - I'll be a happy camper :)
The technical term for those displays are "7 segment" displays.

Playing around with different layouts and I rendered my transmitters for display.. they turned out pretty well.

Panel

dyHB56z.jpg

Render and layout.
qwJRHJh.png

1Dlh90C.jpg

I've been toying with they idea of going electric, but this thread shows just how deep the rabbit hole can go. I'm not sure that I'm ready for that. Although, being able to brew inside during the cold Montana winters would be a plus

The control panel is pretty much complete as of now. Needed to add another bank of 8 relays, and a couple more DO transmitters. Chose to put them in the panel for now as I didn’t feel like cutting more holes. It’s about time to close here up for now.

IMG_3590.JPG

IMG_3591.JPG
IMG_3592.JPG
IMG_3593.JPG
IMG_3594.JPG

Really nice man. Interface looking way cooler. Do you happen to remember the ID of the tangential inlet pipes on the kettles? Are they .75" or 0.5" inlets?

If you underlet your strike water instead of pouring your grain into your strike water, dough balls are nonexistent.
Correct, but a disadvantage of underletting in larger sytems like 3bbl is the water at the top of the grainbed is cooled considerably and the water at the bottom is closer to strike temp.. by the time the temps were equalized in our 3bbl rims system at 5 gpm flow much of the mash conversion was already done. just something to keep in mind. we had 139 at the top of our grainbed and 166 at the bottom... far from ideal but not an issue in smaller systems with good herm or rims control.

Drilled out a solid TC endcap and silver soldered it to the probe body for DO, pH are swaglock.

Thanks Guys, been a while since I have been here, been busily brewing. Here is the latest.
eVgSJtR.png

wagsmOV.png

fJFGai5.png

LOtVLJ8.png

8tVaPud.png

CoCkV7t.jpg

Working on finishing the basement ad brew area.
sI4c2BY.jpg

and been working on drinking beer.

Setup definitely looking awesome. Especially like the etched glass window.

Back