My kegmenter-in-a-fridge lager setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HB2 HughBHomeBrew

Reaction score
Wasn't sure this was working at first. For reaching lager temperatures - I just have a fridge - warmest I can get it is about 42F. I brewed this Pilsner 5 days ago. Pitched a swollen smack-pack of Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager into wort that was 74F and ambient temp was 71F. After 8 hours moved, it into the fridge and it took a few days for the fridge to come down to 42-44F. The weird thing is, the blow-off never bubbled in the jar but when I pulled the PRV, it would give off a little puff and then the air/fluid level the hose would push down and then stop. So I was wondering if it was fermenting at all. But today, I lifted the Mason jar up, and when it got up to the level of the keg, it started bubbling. Then, as I lowered it, it kept bubbling, and now its thumping away - about 1 bubble per second. So must have been some sort of air lock and/or some leak from the top of the keg.

IMG_7733.jpeg

Why not use an Inkbird to control your fridge temp? That's how you'll get it to stay at 50ºF (or any temp in the brewing range).

You have too much water in your jar. It takes too much pressure to push the water all the way down so you can get bubbles and since it doesn't, you worry. You probably have a tiny leak somewhere that is letting some of the CO2 our.

You have too much water in your jar. It takes too much pressure to push the water all the way down so you can get bubbles and since it doesn't, you worry. You probably have a tiny leak somewhere that is letting some of the CO2 our.
Thank you - agreed

Why not use an Inkbird to control your fridge temp? That's how you'll get it to stay at 50ºF (or any temp in the brewing range).
Had not thought of that - thanks. I think its not as cold as I was thinking - depends where I put the thermometer

The most accurate place for the probe is inside the fermenter in a thermowell. But that's often inconvenient (I don't do it). The next best place is taped or bungee-corded to the side of the fermenter, under a layer of foam or rubber insulation.

Back