My Halloween horror story

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prionburger

Reaction score
I guess this is related to starters, so I'll post this here.

Today I started brewing Jamil's Nutcastle ale, and everything was going well until the very end. The wort was chilled, so I went to get my starter, and noticed fruit-flies all over it, with a few swirling around inside. Not wanting to pitch fruit flies into my wort, I decided to dump the starter. And to kick myself while down, I dumped the stir-bar in the toilet while pouring the starter out.

Guh!!!!!!

Anyways, time for a serious RDWHAHB. I'm going to get some dry yeast tomorrow and pitch that. Won't be anything like London Ale, but hopefully it won't be a dumper.

Next time I'll leave the foil on my flask a little tighter, and not dump my stir-bar in the toilet.

I've gotten in the habit of tying twine around the foil and neck of the flask. My dog knows how to open the sliding glass doors, but not close them, which sometimes causes issues similar to yours.

Back