My first stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_jeffe

Reaction score
I just cracked open a bottle of my first stout i made back at the beginning of December. It tastes great but the mouth feel is a little light. Its perfectly carbonated but just not creamy. Here is my recipe, any suggestions?

9lbs Dark LME
1lb Roasted Barley
1lb Black patent malt
2oz Fuggle
3oz Cluster
Irish Ale Yeast.

the creamy feel of most dry stouts comes from no2 used to carb the beer. if it's a sweet stout, try some lactose in the boil, or like the other poster said, oats for an oatmeal stout, those are creamy even without the nitrogen gas.

Flaked barley makes a huge difference (8-10% of your grain bill is awesome for me).
That and a nitrogen tap (if you're made of money :))

Flaked oats or barley for sure, and half pound of crystal will help that "thin" feeling.

All good suggestions. Age will help this beer, as will some crystal. Flaked barley and oats need to be mashed, if you're comfortable with that. Maltodextrin can be added to the boil for some mouthfeel, but some people feel that's a little artificial (personal preference).
I'll bet this beer will be excellent in a month or two.

Back