My FIRST AG APA - Help-Suggestions Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epp200

Reaction score
I am not a big APA guy, prefer german beers and darker beers like stouts and brown ales so this is NEW territory for me.

I would like to make an APA for going away party for a buddy of mine (he and most of his friends love APA's) who is relocating (due to job) to the East Coast.

I am looking for simple and a little on the sweet side for an APA. Here is what I came up with:

8.5 # 2-row
1.5 # Crystal 60L
1.5# Honey Malt

Any input or suggestions? Also, I have no idea what hops to use with the above grain bill or hop schedule. I would prefer only using a single hop but I have no problem using 2 different ones if that would make this APA better.

Thanks everyone. ..... Cheers! ..... Ed

Recipe looks good and simple to me, I would mash around 152-154 to keep it a little sweeter, and as far as hops, I see no reason why you would have to use more than 1 variety. I would do additions at 60 minutes, 30 minutes and 10 or 15 minutes and shoot for around 35-40 IBU.

That's a LOT of honey malt. I mean, like 150% more than I would even consider. "Sweet" means different things to different people, though. I would think that much honey malt would be beyond cloying. If your friends like APAs, I would consider reducing the honey malt to no more than .25 pounds and consider eliminating it altogether.

For hopping, cascades are always good as all APA lovers are familiar with them and tend to like them. You could hop with perle or magnum for bittering, and then use cascades for flavor and aroma, like a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Or even all cascades- that would be great, too.

I agree with Yooper. I would ditch the honey malt. Mash around 153. For hops cascade is always great but i think that you could make something really interesting with either Amarillo or Citra or a combo there of. I subscribe to the idea any hops that starts with C is going to work great for an APA or IPA.

Try this hop schedule:
60 min: 1oz Citra
1min: 1oz amarillo
1oz Citra

CHEERS

I agree with Yooper. I would ditch the honey malt. Mash around 153. For hops cascade is always great but i think that you could make something really interesting with either Amarillo or Citra or a combo there of. I subscribe to the idea any hops that starts with C is going to work great for an APA or IPA.

Try this hop schedule:
60 min: 1oz Citra
1min: 1oz amarillo
1oz Citra

CHEERS

I used 1/2 oz Nugget for bittering at 60 and then 1/2 oz Citra at 10 with 1/2 oz Citra for the dry hop and left out the honey malt. I just added the dry hop this evening and it smelled good before that addition and even better after. Ask me in a week how it smells when I bottle it and then remind me about Christmas and I'll be able to give you a report.

i also agree about the honey malt. remove it, and just mash a little high, maybe 154. when i get in the mood for something like that:

9 2-row
1 vienna
1 munich
1 c60

Well it's all about the hops really. My favorite easy APA recipe is
MO + 12 oz C40-80 + hops @ 60, 20, & 10 plus 2 oz @ flame out. Adjust the bitterness by amount and AA% This is for a 5 gallon batch. For Sierra Nevada I use cascade and measure for 40-45 ibus using Rager

Back