Help With Douglas Fir Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurds_2408

Reaction score
So my Great Dane is named Douglas Fur because me and my wife are very corny and like punny animal names. We also lately have been making some recipes that have some relation (name and/or ingredients) to the pets we've had in our lives. I've got two already that will be regular rotations in my keezer. So now I am making a beer for this pet. My plan is to use Douglas Fir tips in the last 10-15min of the boil but I have no clue what base style to use. I'm decently experienced all grain brewer but my recipe making skills are lacking. I mostly copy the internet or my LHBS and only make small adjustments. So I could the help.

I know spruce tips have been used regularly for beer but less info out there on fir tips. My other two are an APA and a wheat. I'm not against similar base beer but would like to change it up. I would consider an amber but anything darker and my wife won't drink it. I'm leaning towards pilsner as I recently had a spruce tip pilsner and it was excellent. But the little information I found says fir tips are a little different than spruce, quote "Typically fir has more tannic properties than spruce, so depending on what you are making, often honey or other sweetness is preferred to balance the flavors." So not sure if it'll work in pilsner or what I may need to add to balance. My ability to know what tastes good with what is so bad. So any help on where to start would be appreciated.

As thanks here is a photo of Douglas Fur with his namesake tree.
IMG_6903.jpeg

Last edited:
I've had beers with fir tips in a mixture with spruce tips and juniper berries but I don't recall if I've ever had a beer with just fir tips. I've brewed with blue spruce tips from my yard and don't find them very tannic but a little goes a long way in a beer. If it's true that fir tips are more tannic I would consider trying a blond ale or even an amber where you can balance tannins with crystal malt or honey malt.

Thanks for the help Mash. I had hoped for more discussion here. That’s ok though. I’m brewing Friday. Gonna do a simple blonde. 2 row and and some crystal 15, little centennial and little cascade, fir tips 10min left. I’ll report back in a few weeks.

Just tapped this. So freaking excited for how it turned out. I used whirflok and it was still super murky and had particulate in the hydrometer at kegging. A lot of it fell out in the keg it seams but still cloudy. Doesn’t bother me. Taste wise it came out amazing. The hops are there but don’t get in the way of the fir tips. Not sure what fir tips were going to taste like but you can tell when you taste it. Add a unique flavor like nothing I’ve had. Very pleased with it. Only two days on carbonation so needs a few more days to be perfect.
IMG_8709.jpeg

@kurds_2408 Just came across this thread, was thinking about making my own fir tip beer at some point. How much fir did you have to add to your recipe? Encouraging to see that someone has already brewed this and was happy with the results!
That's exciting. I used 4oz in a 5.5 gallon batch. It definitely gives it and earthy taste and I was happy with that amount. I used fresh tips at the time. Not sure if frozen ones would give less flavor. I've got half a pound frozen but haven't got a chance to rebrew this yet and try the frozen ones. Let me know if you need any other recipe information. Good luck with it and be sure to post your results.

Sorry I can't help on the beer, though it sounds and looks fantastic. Just a comment on what a beautiful pup you have their in Douglas Fur.

-and I love his name. I've always wanted a dog I could just name Steve. Or Bill. Robert. As it is, Murphy was named after a certain stout. No idea why.

20220730_180415.jpg

Sorry I can't help on the beer, though it sounds and looks fantastic. Just a comment on what a beautiful pup you have their in Douglas Fur.

-and I love his name. I've always wanted a dog I could just name Steve. Or Bill. Robert. As it is, Murphy was named after a certain stout. No idea why.

View attachment 836663
Haha. Thanks. Murphy is a good lookin pup. I’m super happy with the beer and need to brew it soon.

Thanks for the report. A spruce beer has been on my wishlist of brews to brew.

Btw- I think “Sir” Douglas is more fitting for your canine. Beautiful dog.
lol. We’ll have to start incorporating that in.

Back