My Corny Keg is leaking on the metal side, can I do anything to fix it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignac

Reaction score
Hi,

My Corny keg has a very slow leak. After triple checking all fittings with soapy water, I finally ended up dunking the keg into a sink full of water. Sadly, the leak is coming from the metal side and not from any of the fittings.

Here is a video showing exactly what is taking place:

Is there any way I can repair the leak myself?
Maybe some type of compound I can apply?
Was thinking about using a tire repair kit -- would that work?

(Note: I am pressurizing the keg up to 35lbs.)

Thanks,
Sam

Last edited:
I think you may be SOL, mate. I can't think of any compound available that you could use that would be food-safe. You could possibly take it to a welding shop, but then again, you don't want any of that leaching into your beer. And it could potentially cost more than buying a new corny. I would cut my losses (but save the lid and the posts).

There are plenty of stainless welded parts in a brewing setup. I wouldn't worry about leaching.
If you don't know someone to weld stainless steel, it may cost more than the keg is worth. Then I would do as seatazzz said, save all the parts.

You might try JB Weld Water Weld epoxy. It is used for sealing leaks in plumbing. I don't know for sure about drinking water. I used it on my plumbing in my old house and I am still breathing.

Thanks everyone! Went online and found someone who will willing to weld it tomorrow for $20, which is better than having to pay $60 for a new keg. Crossing my fingers it works out.

Turned out GREAT. Took the guy less than 2 minutes to weld it, and he refused to accept the 20 bucks cuz it was so quick. Brought it back home and tested it out again by pressurizing it to 35lbs and dunking it in water --- it works perfectly. See pics at below links.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z7PBz7gZDuEOTURG3

https://photos.app.goo.gl/OgZTowPTPiarNQms2

If any others out there have leaky kegs --- don't throw them out --- they can be fixed!

Thanks

Hi,

My Corny keg has a very slow leak. After triple checking all fittings with soapy water, I finally ended up dunking the keg into a sink full of water. Sadly, the leak is coming from the metal side and not from any of the fittings.

Here is a video showing exactly what is taking place:

Is there any way I can repair the leak myself?
Maybe some type of compound I can apply?
Was thinking about using a tire repair kit -- would that work?

(Note: I am pressurizing the keg up to 35lbs.)

Thanks,
Sam

It's common practice for welding shops to fabricate food and medical grade stainless steel work, so no issues there. I'd be more concerned about welding on a pressure vessel and weakening the walls. You may well be hooped, but I suggest contacting a local company that does pressure welding. They'll have the answers for you.

EDIT: Reading further down, I see you went ahead. Hopefully the guy has a pressure welding certificate and knows his stuff. If you don't know, I would check around. Welds can be weak at the joints, and that's where they often fail.

Last edited:
It's common practice for welding shops to fabricate food and medical grade stainless steel work, so no issues there. I'd be more concerned about welding on a pressure vessel and weakening the walls. You may well be hooped, but I suggest contacting a local company that does pressure welding. They'll have the answers for you.

EDIT: Reading further down, I see you went ahead. Hopefully the guy has a pressure welding certificate and knows his stuff. If you don't know, I would check around. Welds can be weak at the joints, and that's where they often fail.

Rolls eyes

Dont listen to me guys. It's not like I welded for a living. Oh wait, yes I did.

For the armchair experts out there. Do not, repeat DO NOT weld on a pressure vessel unless you are certified to do so.

Last edited:
ef8.jpg

Welders are so serious.

GRAMPAMARK HILARIOUS!!!!

oh man. well if he didnt fill with argon, and im assuming he didnt, and he didnt use solar flux, you're not going to die. just look inside where the little spot weld is, run your finger across it and you'll know if its rough or not. if it is, you could definitely grind/polish it. might be limited to emery cloth or wet 3000 grit sand paper though for work on the inside.

i got a dremel inside a corny once.... then realized i couldnt see what the hell was going on in there. d'oh.

Back