My AG IPA tastes like vodka!??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarCityBrewMaster

Reaction score
I've had Edworts IPA in bottles for 3 weeks now and just cracked my first two, both of which have the most alcohol heat I have ever experienced. It literally tastes like liquor in a way. The crazy thing is it's only about 6.9% alc.

I didn't use vodka in my airlock so exclude that theory.

The recipe was:
11lbs Pale Malt
1lb Munich
.75lb Crystal 60

Mashed around 151

Warrior and Centennial are used to make up 83 IBU's which don't even show through much due to the heat. This beer tastes like a 30 or 40 something IBU beer (or my pallet is rapidly changing).

Safale-05 dry yeast was used and fermented at 64 air temp. Bottle conditioning was also done in the same 64 degree air temp.

I've never experience this kind of heat in the past year from any of my beers and I am confused to what it would be?

What temp did you chill to before pitching.

It sounds like fusel alcohol, whcih is typically from high fermentation temps.

I know you said you had 64F ambient temps, but the beer would have been closer to 68F or 70F due to heat produced during fermentation.

That assumes you pitched under 70F. If you pitched warmer than 70F, it could have gotten ever hotter at it's peak.

I might be barking up the wrong tree, but let's hear more info.

Did you rehydrate your yeast? Fusels are caused by a number of things. Stressed yeast may be the issue here. If you just sprinkled in the 1 dry yeast pack, you may have killed a lot of yeast and thus underpitched.

I don't remember exactly at what degree I pitched the yeast but I always pitch after it gets into the low 70's so with that being said I guess I could have pitched yeast that was around 64 into wort that was around 74.

I have never hydrated my dry yeast and have still always had good results but this one was no exception - no hydration.

I don't remember exactly at what degree I pitched the yeast but I always pitch after it gets into the low 70's so with that being said I guess I could have pitched yeast that was around 64 into wort that was around 74.

I have never hydrated my dry yeast and have still always had good results but this one was no exception - no hydration.

Basically, you are looking at pitching rate and temperature as primary causes of fusels. It sounds like the conditions for both of these were not ideal.

If I leave this batch at room temp for another month or so will fusels dissipate and mellow out over time?

If it's fusels, well no, probably not much.

Still, it might be worth a try! I'd certainly try it. The problem is that as it ages, the hops aroma and flavor will fade, too.

I've been brewing for close to a year now, I'd guess 30-40 batches and have yet to experience this type of heat ever so I'd rule out water, I'd say it has to be something with the yeast unfortunately.

Back