Murky Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sesamechicken

Reaction score
This was the second cider I made and is awesome chilled on hot days. My mother-in-law is pretty much a non-drinker and she LOVES this.

Making this in the Whole Foods brand yields 1 G plug a new glass jug. Score!

• 1 G Whole Foods 365 Organic Unfiltered Apple Juice
  • 2 1/2 C corn sugar
  • 1/2 pack of Safbrew WB-06 yeast

Mix sugar and juice by violent shaking, then pitch yeast and shake some more. This unfiltered juice will never clear, making for a delicious and deceiving murky cider.

I let this go in primary @ 68-70 F for 12 days. OG was 1.084 and final ready after 12 days was 1.012.

Bottling: Warm 2T sugar in 8oz fresh water on stovetop until completely dissolved. Bottle as normal, giving about 7 days for full carbonation. Chill and enjoy on ice!

ABV after 8oz liquid priming solution was calculated at 8.89% abv. Sneaks up on you - the alcohol really can't be tasted and cider has a juicy refreshing flavor.

Enjoy!

So u just ferment in the jug it came in? Sounds delist. My bro is wanting me to make some. Sounds easy enough.

So u just ferment in the jug it came in? Sounds delist. My bro is wanting me to make some. Sounds easy enough.
Yep. In my area (Cincinnati), it's about $7.99 per 1G, which comes in a glass jug. Ferment in the jug it came in and you end up with about 10 12oz bottles and a nice clean new jug for experiments.

I should have added in the initial recipe post that I would consider this a semi-dry cider. It's definitely not bone dry, but not overly sweet either. My wife likes Riesling (sweet to me) and not anything drier, but she really likes this.

The WB-06 is a powerhouse, but it didn't strip all of the apple flavor and produced no krausen in primary. Because this juice is unfiltered, when it was done there was about .75" of yeast and settled apple at the bottom.

I'm not sure. Honestly, I think the only thing that seems to separate cider recipes is the exact combination of the specific juice and the specific yeast.
But, try it and see - I'm sure it will be tasty regardless.

I'll be using just basic filtered juice w no preservatives etc. Was fairly cheap to get together the 5 gallons. May throw it all together tonight and let it roll!

Pitched and ready to roll. Sitting in 65 degree water in basement. Hope it doesn't blow!

image-1811051139.jpg

1.056 og. Didn't add as much sugar. And have pitches yeast. Oh we'll. Mia read. Put more like 1.75 cups per gallon. Not 2.5. Ugh.

Back