Muntons yeast OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSBrewer

Reaction score
Last night I made the English Honey Bitter extract kit from AHS. It came with Muntons yeast. I can't remember exactly which one, I've thrown the package out already, but I think it was "gold" or something that made it sound "special." Before pitching I hesitated, because I thought I might have remembered some discussions on here from a couple of years ago that Muntons yeast is not good. Then I thought maybe that was Coopers we had been talking about. At any rate, I pitched it and 12 hours later there is some activity, but not as ferocious as I usually get (I know this is not a good measurement).

I still have a number of Fermentis dry yeasts on backup. Would it behoove me to toss another one in? Would there be any harm? I can't stand it when my brews don't totally ferment out.

Last night I made the English Honey Bitter extract kit from AHS. It came with Muntons yeast. I can't remember exactly which one, I've thrown the package out already, but I think it was "gold" or something that made it sound "special." Before pitching I hesitated, because I thought I might have remembered some discussions on here from a couple of years ago that Muntons yeast is not good. Then I thought maybe that was Coopers we had been talking about. At any rate, I pitched it and 12 hours later there is some activity, but not as ferocious as I usually get (I know this is not a good measurement).

I still have a number of Fermentis dry yeasts on backup. Would it behoove me to toss another one in? Would there be any harm? I can't stand it when my brews don't totally ferment out.

Munton's Gold is probably ok. That's the yeast that the say can ferment all-malt beers. The regular Munton's is not- it is designed to ferment those corn sugar/extract beers and just will not do well in an all extract or all malt beer.

I think Munton's are pretty small packages, though- I think 5 or 6 grams vs. 11 grams in other dry yeast strains so you may be underpitching a bit.

Munton's Gold is probably ok. That's the yeast that the say can ferment all-malt beers. The regular Munton's is not- it is designed to ferment those corn sugar/extract beers and just will not do well in an all extract or all malt beer.

I think Munton's are pretty small packages, though- I think 5 or 6 grams vs. 11 grams in other dry yeast strains so you may be underpitching a bit.

Would there be any harm in my adding some Fermentis yeast in there now?

My OG came out too high (unless I measured wrong) 1.073 instead of the target 1.062. I fear I might not have added enough water somehow because it looks rather low in my 6.5 gal carboy. It's been almost a year since my last batch so I don't really remember what it looks like normally. I'd really like to make sure I have the right yeast in there to finish the job.

Thanks.

Would there be any harm in my adding some Fermentis yeast in there now?

My OG came out too high (unless I measured wrong) 1.073 instead of the target 1.062. I fear I might not have added enough water somehow because it looks rather low in my 6.5 gal carboy. It's been almost a year since my last batch so I don't really remember what it looks like normally. I'd really like to make sure I have the right yeast in there to finish the job.

Thanks.

I wouldn't add more yeast, if it's fermenting now. The yeast have reproduced and I can't think of any benefit to adding more now.

Back