Cinnamon Metheglin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjwelchNola

Reaction score
Chronicling my latest mead exploit and seeing if anyone has tips to make this better. Only my second mead so still learning. Added 15 lbs of honey to 5 gallons of water. Took a specific gravity after adding nutrients and yeast and discovered it was only 1.080, which I thought was odd but wrote it off due to mixing issues. Added nutrients again at 24 hours and at 1/3 sugar break. Realized one month in I made a mistake and had undersweetened my mead, and to get my yeast to the higher end of it's alcohol tolerance I needed to have 15 pounds of honey added to water until it reached 5 gallons, so decided to add some more honey when I moved to my secondary. It was also at this time that I added 3 cinnamon sticks.

Approximately 2 months after first pitch took an SG at 1.000 and moved to secondary with 4 pounds more honey. SG bumped to 1.022, which I believe will allow me to kill most of the yeast off through alcohol poisoning.

Separated into several 1-gallon containers and added vanilla to a few. Gonna check it again this weekend to check the strength of the cinnamon and vanilla flavors and remove them if necessary. Also gonna add some fruits to a few (peach, apple, maybe pear) to get a pie-type flavor going.

If anyone has any suggestions for what else I can add to this base to get some good/interesting flavors, or what has or hasn't worked for them, please let me know.

Back