Moving to 5 gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyRob

Reaction score
I've been brewing 1 gallon batches and I'm looking to move up. I was curious if anyone has just purchased one of the 5 gallon water jugs that you would put on a water cooler as their container?

I thought maybe the plastic might alter the flavor but I also see 5 gallon pails that people use and those are plastic. What are your thoughts?

You won't have any headspace for a 5 gallon batch. You need a 6 gallon carboy or a 6.5 gallon fermenting bucket.

There are 7 different codes for plastic, all with different properties. Most water jugs are #7 and people will argue all day whether you should use them or not. You can find some that are #1 and everyone agrees those are good.

I think either make a fine secondary and I use them to mix/store my Star-San. I wouldn't use them as a primary fermentor on a 5 gallon batch because there isn't any headspace.

You won't have any headspace for a 5 gallon batch. You need a 6 gallon carboy or a 6.5 gallon fermenting bucket.

I am in the process of looking to upgrade to at least one 5-gallon fermenter as well.

Since we're on topic -- is one better than the other (carboy vs bucket)?

Grab a 6.5 gallon bucket they are cheap, easy to clean and last a long time if you take care of them.
glass is heavy, slick and dangerous. Buckets are much easier to handle and clean and come with their own handle.

I have a 6 gallon better bottle, a 6.5 gal glass carboy and a 6.5 gal plastic bottling bucket that doubles as a fermentor. The bottle and the glass are cool because you can see the fermentation activity. Once the novelty wears off I suppose I will only use food-grade plastic buckets. Whatever you choose, I would suggest getting something made with fermentation in mind for best brewing results. If you go with a glass carboy (my third choice) then make sure you get a Brew Hauler to carry it around as you aren't supposed to use a carboy handle. With all the weight you stand a good chance of breaking it.

Stigy said:
I am in the process of looking to upgrade to at least one 5-gallon fermenter as well.

Since we're on topic -- is one better than the other (carboy vs bucket)?

They all have their advantages and disadvantages. I have a glass carboy, 4 plastic carboys and 4 buckets. The glass carboy gets the most use. It has never been empty for more than 24 hours. It is significantly heavier than plastic but it doesn't hold odors either. I aerate it with the shake method which is a great workout. As a fairly new brewer, I also like being able to see what is going on in there without opening it up. Glass also transmits heat better so the thermostat on the side is pretty accurate.

The biggest advantage and disadvantage of buckets is the wide open mouth. If I am using a bucket, I put a 5 gallon paint strainer bag in there before I dump in my wort. Then I just pull the bag out and get all the hops and cold break. It doesn't need a funnel. I use an electric whisk to aerate. Not nearly as fun as shaking. They don't always get a good seal on the lid so it is harder to see if your yeast has taken off yet. It is a lot easier to add or remove dry hops though.

I go all buckets for primary. They are cheap (so easy to replace if they get a smell I can't get out or a large scratch), work well, and so far have had no issues. I then use better bottles for beers that need some time bulk aging.

They all have their advantages and disadvantages. I have a glass carboy, 4 plastic carboys and 4 buckets. The glass carboy gets the most use. It has never been empty for more than 24 hours. It is significantly heavier than plastic but it doesn't hold odors either. I aerate it with the shake method which is a great workout. As a fairly new brewer, I also like being able to see what is going on in there without opening it up. Glass also transmits heat better so the thermostat on the side is pretty accurate.

The biggest advantage and disadvantage of buckets is the wide open mouth. If I am using a bucket, I put a 5 gallon paint strainer bag in there before I dump in my wort. Then I just pull the bag out and get all the hops and cold break. It doesn't need a funnel. I use an electric whisk to aerate. Not nearly as fun as shaking. They don't always get a good seal on the lid so it is harder to see if your yeast has taken off yet. It is a lot easier to add or remove dry hops though.

Oh wow I like that tip about the paint strainer bag to get the cold break and the hops. Definitely going to go buckets when I decide to do 5-gallon brews.

Thanks. :ban:

Latest posts

Back