Moving Spike Conical Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I recently got a Spike Conical Fermenter (CF5). I was blown away to find out that the handles can't actually be used. For those who don't know, there is a warning on the handles in big bold letters that says "DO NOT LIFT WHEN FULL". My setup requires me to carry this thing from my kitchen to the other end of the house where my fermentation fridge is.

This thing is heavy as is when it's empty. It's difficult to pick up due to it's shape, and the SS makes it fairly slippery. My question is, if you own a Spike Conical how the F$@% do you transport this thing once it's full???

Cheers.
Marc

I’d be willing to bet most people don’t move it any distance like you’re saying.

I think when faced with damage to my equipment that’s 1500+, or spilling a full fermenter in my house to catch the wrath of my wife, I’d spend a good chunk of change on a long run of silicone tubing and pump it the whole way. I know that sounds to be a fairly dumb idea, but it would be better on par with moving a top heavy fermenter through my house.

I made/modified a cart for it.
IMG_9566.jpeg

I use sanitized 5 gallon buckets to carry it from boil kettle to fermenter and pour it in. I split the 5 gallon batch into 2 buckets just so it's lighter to carry/easier to pour than a full bucket.

I do the same. Good way to aerate as well. A lot of splashing as it drains into the bucket and then a lot of splashing as it’s dumped into the fermenter.

I use sanitized 5 gallon buckets to carry it from boil kettle to fermenter and pour it in. I split the 5 gallon batch into 2 buckets just so it's lighter to carry/easier to pour than a full bucket.

And once again... there's a simple solution that my thick skull never considered LOL - I'm glad I did a search on this (new Spike Flex+ owner)

Cheers,
Dave

IMO, they say "do not lift when full" to protect the company from being sued when someone does lift a full fermenter and drops it and injures themselves.

Right now I brew in the driveway (under a canopy) but ferment in the basement (direct access from brew area, through the garage, no stairs). There's a lip between the driveway and garage that I'll need to lift the fermenter over. Maybe an inch rise. I don't expect any issue using the handles to do this (two of us most of the time). I plan to reach out to Spike for confirmation that the handles are welded on well enough to handle this type of use. If not, I'll simply lift each leg over the lip in turn and be done with it. I did get the wheels, short leg extensions, and extended brace for the CF10s I now have. So after that one lift, they'll simply roll into position. Later on, or during winter, I plan to brew in the garage (SCL FTW) so there won't be any lifting at all. My next place will be configured so this is even easier.

IMO, they say "do not lift when full" to protect the company from being sued when someone does lift a full fermenter and drops it and injures themselves.

Right now I brew in the driveway (under a canopy) but ferment in the basement </snip>

I would agree regarding protecting the company... I figured that as well. I do, mostly, the same (during the warm weather months) of brewing in the driveway and then everything else is done in the basement but there are stairs. I've lifted full (6 Gallon) SS Brewtech BrewBuckets down the stairs using their handles and while those fermenters are a lot lighter than the Spike Flex+ they're still a wee bit ungainly when it comes to walking down a flight of stairs. I think the "using the bucket" option is something I'm going to do from now on to save me the potential pain of losing / breaking a fermenter.

I can't believe that solution never dawned on me before... boy I feel derpy :D

Or you could just setup in the basement to brew there. ;)

I have the steam condenser lid, so I can brew in my current garage in the cold months. After I move next, I fully plan to have a brewing room/shed where I'll do everything inside. No more worries about the weather and such. The SCL means I won't need to get a condensate hood installed anywhere. :D

BTW, I'll be putting a TC cap with a corny liquid post fitted to it (got the TC fitting coming, have the liquid post already) for extraction without mess. That will go on the racking arm. I also have one for a 2" TC fitting, so if the beer at the very bottom (after dumping out the bottom valve) is good, I can extract the last bit from there. OR, do it all from there post trub dump.

No doubt about it hefting conicals about with 30 litres of wort in is tricky and a back hazard. I'd love to be able to go from kettle to ferment vessel in the right place but my brew room design doesn't allow that. Wheels wouldn't help either it's an irritation.

Some logic behind being told to not lift the conicals when full... The CF10 will be north of 100# when full. I wouldn't want to try to walk while holding that much weight. My back isn't all that great (was worse before I lost some pounds), so there's no way I would want to do that. It's why I went with the wheels and made sure I'd be able to get these into position as easily as possible once filled. Lifting fermenters is why I have had help on brew day since picking it up again. Part of that was lifting full fermenters into the chamber. Not really a concern now, since I have the glycol chiller and chill coils in both CF10's.

Even empty the CF10's aren't exactly super-light. They're easy to manage, but add the weight of 7+ gallons of wort and I can see how it's not a good idea. At least not alone. Plus, nothing would suck more than to be carrying your conical back to where it will ferment and smack it against a wall (or door jamb) and have either one of the valves open, or something break, and you lose the batch all over the floor (and you).

I routinely lift my CF10 when full, (8-10 gallons) it probably weighs well over 100lbs. I get low, and sort of bear hug it into my shoulder grabbing the legs at the weld joint (so I don't put weird stresses on them). Lifting with my legs, I can just get it onto the counter top. I support most of the weight on my shoulders and arms.

I'd never tried carrying it very far. If I needed to do that, I would build a cart.

@Golddiggie
I'd like to see you make some pneumatic bigger wheels then it would roll really easy and cope with your garage lip. Electric scooter size would do it.

Chrome plate the wheels of course so it all matches in nicely.

@DuncB I wouldn't benefit from making those types of wheels. Never mind I'm not setup (machine wise) to create those. I'm sure I could make adapters to go from the brace to a wheel shaft. But, that's a good amount of work for zero gain. At least for me. Now, if someone wanted to PAY me to make something like that. ;)

Latest posts

Back