Coming clean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T Murph

Homebrew Advocate
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have had a lot of difficulty getting my Spike CF5 to hold pressure. I tried many things only to find it was still loosing pressure. Finally Spike learned of my problem and sent a new and improved top lid gasket. I was very confident it was going to solve my problem. But no, I had replaced the pressure relief valve on the manifold with an adjustable PRV. Of course until I resolved the lid gasket leak I could not identify other leaks. At first after installing the new gasket it appeared to hold pressure. But it continued to leak down over night. I finally filled the vessel about half full of sanitizer solution and applied 15 psi Co2 pressure. I placed the vessel on it's side and slowly rolled it around and found the adjustable PRV was slowly leaking through the shaft in the housing. I reinstalled the original PRV and bingo, no more leaking. So I'm very happy to say this fermenter is now preforming as I intended it to do.

Here is a photo of capturing Co2 and using it to purge empty kegs and fill them with free Co2. Two 1.6 gal Torpedo kegs and two 5 gal cornies was purged and filled plus I carbonated a keg fresh beer.

And finally a great big thank you to the customer service crew at Spike. They learned of my issue and reached out to me before I contacted them,
20230511_182948.jpg

I've heard good things about Spike's customer service.

Good to see your thorough troubleshooting process, as well. Glad everything is working for you now!

Back