Moving primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLamb

Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but I'm about 7days on a saison in a primary. I understand that active fermentation is done, but is it harmful to tilt the carboy or move the beer inside during the primary? It won't give off flavors or any funky stuff like that?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This may be a silly question, but I'm about 7days on a saison in a primary. I understand that active fermentation is done, but is it harmful to tilt the carboy or move the beer inside during the primary? It won't give off flavors or any funky stuff like that?

no harm whatsoever!
silly questions are fine btw

If you raise the sediment, you just have to let it settle again. dont get sloshing it around though, dont want any oxygenation at this point, I know the next post will say the airspace is full of co2 arrrgh, just dont slosh it around.

Slosh it around to your heart's content. It gets the yeast back into solution which helps to further attenuate your beer. There is plenty of CO2 in the carboy. If you did get a little oxygen in your carboy, it won't hurt anything as long as you have yeast present. The yeast will take care of the oxygen.

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

If you did get a little oxygen in your carboy, it won't hurt anything as long as you have yeast present. The yeast will take care of the oxygen.

That's not strictly true. As I understand it, yeast only consume oxygen during the lag phase, as they use it to metabolize sterols and replicate themselves to build up the necessary colony size to perform fermentation. Once they've finished multiplying and enter the main phase, oxygen uptake essentially ceases, and additional oxygen will oxidize the beer.

That's not strictly true. As I understand it, yeast only consume oxygen during the lag phase, as they use it to metabolize sterols and replicate themselves to build up the necessary colony size to perform fermentation. Once they've finished multiplying and enter the main phase, oxygen uptake essentially ceases, and additional oxygen will oxidize the beer.

I think we are both correct. If you used an oxygen tank and got the parts/million high enough there would be noticeable oxidation or if you left the carboy open for a few days. Any of the trace amounts of oxygen drawn in by swirling would be consumed by the yeast in most cases. Yeast will still consume oxygen if it is available, just in much lower quantities than during their exponential growth phase.

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

Latest posts

Back