Movable burners within

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jangevaa

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am currently making plans to create a three tier brew stand. I am looking to cut costs as much as possible. I do not plan to use any pumps, I will use keggles, and I plan to use as many materials which are freely available to me for the stand as possible. Another cost saving measure I am considering is to have a burner which could be moved from the Hot liquor tank to the Brew Kettle. Has anybody ever done this? If so, does anybody have any design tips or pictures? And lastly, are there any reasons why this really shouldn't be done?

Thank you!

----

Whoops I never finished making a proper title for this thread before I submitted it... I suppose it still kind of makes sense lol

Hi everyone. I am currently making plans to create a three tier brew stand. I am looking to cut costs as much as possible. I do not plan to use any pumps, I will use keggles, and I plan to use as many materials which are freely available to me for the stand as possible. Another cost saving measure I am considering is to have a burner which could be moved from the Hot liquor tank to the Brew Kettle. Has anybody ever done this? If so, does anybody have any design tips or pictures? And lastly, are there any reasons why this really shouldn't be done?

The main problem with the three tier concept is that it will inevitably be quite tall. I think that most of us have considered a three tier design at one time or another and soon realized that there would be accessibility problems. You seem dead set against using a pump for some reason. A pump would eliminate the need for a very tall structure. You could easily whittle it down to a two tier system which would be much more convenient to deal with if you incorporated a pump.

Propane burners are relatively inexpensive. There's not a lot to be saved by using a single, movable burner. It might even be more expensive if you have to buy additional hardware to make the movable burner work for you. While I can appreciate frugality, sometimes it makes more sense in the long run to spend a few bucks now and then. You know, it's like those you often see who work harder at avoiding work than they would doing the actual job. I have an uncle that will drive to four different gas stations trying to save a few cents per gallon. I'll never understand that kind of frugality.

If you want to just get started and put something together that works, is to KISS and keep the turkey fryer burner in whatever stand it came with. Then, as your kegs will be in position on the stand, just move the whole thing between kegs.

A pump is a great thing, it IS a relatively expensive piece of equipment, but the beauty is that it will retain its value indefinitely. You will be able to sell that thing for $10 less than you paid, and it may even increase in value. Watch ebay like a hawk and you can get a good pump cheap....search for an Iwaki, Little Giant, or March centrifugal/mag drive pumps.

Latest posts

Back